Ballou Senior High School
- The student population of 755 students has declined by 20% over five years.
- The teacher population of 82 teachers has grown by 18% over five years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||755 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 has decreased from 14:1 over five years.
- The school's diversity score of 0.04 is less than the state average of 0.24. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- District Of Columbia School District's student population of 47,895 students has grown by 7% over five years.
- The district's graduation rate of 64% has decreased from 92% over five years.
- The revenue/student of $29,866 is higher than the state average of $21,226. The district revenue/student has grown by 65% over four years.
- The district's spending/student of $30,944 is higher than the state average of $20,416. The district spending/student has grown by 70% over four years.
|School District Name||District Of Columbia School District|
|Number of Schools
|Number of Students Managed||47,895||358|
|District Total Revenue||$1,342 MM||$8 MM|
|District Spending||$1,391 MM||$7 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$29,866||$21,226|
|District Spending / Student||$30,944||$20,416|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Ballou Senior High School is located in Washington, DC, United States. Ballou is a part of the District of Columbia Public Schools.
- History: In 2003 a major instance of mercury being spread throughout the school caused for its closure for several weeks and the redirection of students and staff to near by educational facilities. Another incident caused the death of one student and wounding of another student with a gun.
- Ballou SHS also has one of the best choirs and also one of the best bands in the District. The Ballou choir directed by Gary Stanley has been one of the more positive aspects of the school. They have traveled and perfomed in various states such as North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida just to name a few. The choir has also had an impact on the type of media the school has gotten in the last couple of years. They have brought a more positive outlook on the school and the students who attend.
- Ron Suskind wrote a 1998 biography that featured the journey of a Cedric Jennings and his high level of achevement in this school.
- Naming: The school has been named to commemorate former Superintendent of the District of Columbia School System, Frank W. Ballou around 1960.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WashingtonBallou StayGrades: AE | 591 students
3401 4th St Se
Washington, DC 20032
WashingtonCenter City Congress Heights Campus PcsGrades: PK-8 | 257 students
220 High View Pl Se
Washington, DC 20032
WashingtonKing M L Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 372 students
3200 6th St Se
Washington, DC 20032
WashingtonKipp Dc Aim Pcs Academy PcsGrades: 5-8 | 321 students
2600 Douglass Rd Se
Washington, DC 20020
WashingtonSimon Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 293 students
401 Mississippi Ave Se
Washington, DC 20032
Yes, I would recommend this school to others because of the quality education I received. I am a 1975 graduate of Ballou, and have gone on to do great things in my life (BA in Economics, MA in Organizational Management/Administration, and PhD in Ministry). Minister Dr. Gwendolyn J. Bridgett
- Posted by Student/Alumni - bridg
As a native of Washington, DC, as well as a parent with a now, 14-year-old son, I have, on a constant basis, particularly done my best to be informed about the numerious facts, realities, the struggles and countless up's/down's, including the way the local and other news papers, radio and other media forms, as well as many of the local and outside citizens and/or public have chosen to look at, and/or give little or no recognition towards Ballou High School, particularly given the many problems/troubles and related general, social and other related characteristics in connection with Ballou High School, currently and in the past. Still, a very major concern to me as a very caring individual, mother/parent, and local citizen who has, for the best part of my young and adult life, lived in the Washington, DC area, and just recently having moved to the Ward-8 corrindor, as well as having had relatives who have been a student at Ballou High School, currently, and in the past; I find myself, as well as having shared my own thoughts and/or views about what is, and/or has taken place at Ballou High School. For the most part, it has been a really rough and tough ride, this, according to my niece(s) who currently, and in the not so recent past, have attended and been a student at Ballou High School. Ballou High School seems to be in one big mess, and somebody needs to really look at and take into consideration the views of the very students who do and/or have recently attended Bllou High School, because that school continues to be a nest where young minds that are willing, and want to achieve, learn from instructors and others who are ready and willing to help these same students acquire the educational and associated goals, but who are often, for the most part treated with little or no respect by the very staff and people in charge that they have tried and wanted to believe in, trust and need to stand by them, but to no avail. No, Ballou High School continues to fail the test and the very ones who need this school and all that it may well be able to offer them, although it seems like a dream gone bad for most of the students who attend that school. This, according to my 15-year-old niece, and other relatives who have, by the grace and mercy of God, and others who helped them "get through and/or escape" the madness at Ballou High School in order to, at whatever cost, still pursue their asperations and dream. Help make this, Ballou High School a better institution and/or high school for and where the student will not continue to be forgetten, and/or treated in such an awful and nightmarish manner, and be distained for/to fail instead of achieve. Help and listen to me, listen to us now.
- Posted by Parent - bag42