Crenshaw Sci Technical Engr Math And Med Magnet High School
- The student population of 900 students has declined by 26% over five years.
- The teacher population of 53 teachers has declined by 13% over five years.
|School Type||Charter School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||900 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has decreased from 20:1 over five years.
|This School||(CA) School Average|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||24:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- Los Angeles Unified School District's student population of 633,557 students has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- The district's graduation rate of 60% has increased from 47% over five years.
- The revenue/student of $12,871 is higher than the state average of $10,991. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four years.
- The district's spending/student of $14,853 is higher than the state average of $11,482. The district spending/student has grown by 13% over four years.
|School District Name||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||633,557||1,564|
|District Total Revenue||$8,437 MM||$17 MM|
|District Spending||$9,736 MM||$18 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$12,871||$10,991|
|District Spending / Student||$14,853||$11,482|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Crenshaw High School is a secondary school located in south-central Los Angeles, California. The school first opened in 1968. Crenshaw is one of the few, predominately African-American high schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Crenshaw High School is located at 5010 11th Avenue, near the corner of 50th Street. The school colors are blue and gold, and its mascot is the Cougar. Crenshaw's biggest rival is Susan Miller Dorsey High School, which is located in nearby Jungles.
- The school is renound for its outstanding boys basketball program, which has been coached for over thirty years by Willie West. The Crenshaw Cougars have won numerous L.A. City and California State basketball titles.
- Crenshaw was featured in the 1991 movie Boyz N the Hood, the 2000 movie Love & Basketball and from 1996 to 2001 on the UPN series Moesha.
- On 2004 Kirk Douglas and the Amateur Athletic Foundation (AAF) donated stadium lights to Crenshaw high School. Portable lights were brought in for Crenshaw's homecoming game versus their big rival Dorsey High School. This was the school's first night game at home.
- On August 15, 2005, Crenshaw High School lost its accreditation due to several reasons, including "rampant student tardiness". The accreditation was restored on February 1, 2006.
- The Crenshaw High School Varsity Football team won its first "Championship Division" Los Angeles City championship in 2005 defeating Woodland Hills Taft High School, However, a "AAA" Championship was won in 1992, defeating Chatsworth High School. Both Championship titles were under the leadership of Robert Garrett.
- Notable alumni: Chris Brown, former MLB player.
- Darryl Strawberry, Major League Baseball player.
- Larry Elder, radio talk show host, author, and political commentator.
- Marques Johnson, NBA player and commentator.
- Arthur Lee, rock musician.
- Kevin Ollie.
- Ice-T, rapper/actor.
- Wendell Tyler, former star running back for UCLA and the former Los Angeles Rams.
- John "Hot Plate" Williams, NCAA and NBA basketball player.
- Daymeion Hughes, standout senior Cornerback for the Cal Bears football team, potential first-round pick.
- Lee Webb, former USC Trojans and NFL fullback.
- Marcus Darrel Williams, NBA basketball player.
- Geoffrey Styles.
- Kabeer Gbaji-Biamila, standout Defensive end Green Bay Packers.
- Akbar Gbaji-Biamila, current San Diego Charger.
- Terrence Whitehead, current Cincinati Bengal.
- Brandon Mebane, standout senior [Defensive Tackle] for the [California Bears, Berkeley] football team, potential first-round pick.
- Eric Yarber, former Super Bowl winner, Washington Redskins.
- Mykelti Williamson (née Michael Tisdale), actor.
- Darwin Cook, former NBA Player.
- Robert Smith, former NBA Player.
- Garland Frazier, television producer.
- Reggie Lewis, former New Orleans Saint NFL.
- Kerry Justin, former NFL cornerback, Seahawks.
- Sid Justin, former NFL cornerback (Rams. 49ers) current lead singer for the Miracles.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Whitney Young Continuation High School Grades: 9-12 | 49 students
3051 W. 52nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90043
(323)296-3258 0.2 9-12 49
- Los Angeles Today's Fresh Start-compton
4476 Crenshaw Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90043
(323)293-9826 0.3 n/a n/a
- Los Angeles Alliance Ouchi-o'donovan 6-12 Complex Grades: 6-12 | 1003 students
5356 S. Fifth Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(323)596-2290 0.5 6-12 1003
- Los Angeles Angeles Mesa Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 412 students
2611 W. 52nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90043
(323)294-5103 0.5 K-5 412
- Los Angeles View Park Preparatory Accelerated High School Grades: 9-12 | 654 students
5701 S. Crenshaw Blvd., Ste. 3
Los Angeles, CA 90056
(323)290-6975 0.5 9-12 654
Nearby Homes for Sale
July 12, 2018
Being a teacher has never been easy but changes in federal funding and legislation have made it harder than ever for public school teachers. Keep reading to learn more.
July 12, 2018
Meal delivery services are all the rage these days, but could they be the solution to the school lunch problem? Keep reading to find out!
May 18, 2018
Find out where the members of the 115th House of Representatives went to school and how many chose private school over public school for their own children.