Top Vermont Alternative Public Schools
- For the 2020 school year, there is 1 top alternative public school in Vermont, serving 12 students.
- Alternative schools aim to help students whose needs may not be successfully met in regular schools.
- Students who attend alternative schools and may be at risk of educational failure (as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with temporary or permanent withdrawal from school).
- Minority enrollment is 8% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the Vermont state average of 10%.
Top Vermont Alternative Public Schools (2020)
- School Location Grades Students
- Colchester Woodside Juvenile Rehabilitation Center 26 Woodside Drive
Colchester, VT 05446
Grades: 7-12 | 12 students
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of public school vouchers as they pertain to the education of students with disabilities.
As of 2014, nineteen states still allow corporal punishment – spanking and paddling the most common choices – in their public schools. However, some argue that not only are these punishments physically harmful, they also are disproportionately administered to students of color. As a result, House democrats have taken up the issue in a new bill that would ban all forms of corporal punishment nationwide.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.