Highland County School District
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 2 public schools managed by Highland County School District serving 207 students in Monterey, Virginia.
- Minority enrollment is 3% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the Virginia state average of 50%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 8:1 is less than the state average of 15:1.
|School District Name||Highland County School District|
|# of Schools||2|
|# of Students||207|
|# of Teachers||25|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8|
|# of Male Students||92|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||115|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||n/a|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||n/a|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||3|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||n/a|
|% Black Students||n/a|
|# of White Students||201|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||3|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||15|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||25|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||1|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||14|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||19|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||9|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||13|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||19|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||21|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||12|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||16|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||12|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||16|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||15|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Highland County School District, which is ranked within the top 50% of all 134 school districts in Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 50% has decreased from 80% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (VA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||75-79%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||80-84%|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $19,722 is higher than the state average of $11,628. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $19,063 is higher than the state average of $11,792. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||This State (VA)|
|Total Revenue||$4 MM||$41 MM|
|Spending||$4 MM||$42 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$19,722||$11,628|
|Spending / Student||$19,063||$11,792|
We examine the issue of Internet access in public schools, particularly in light of recent allegations from a father that his daughter was allowed to visit online dating websites from her school during class hours.
Special education teachers face a unique set of challenges, and so do the parents of special needs students. Keep reading to learn some practical tips for making your life as a special needs teacher or parent easier.
Taking the SAT or ACT is a major source of stress for high school students. Keep reading to learn how to choose the right test and how to prepare for it.