Wheeler High School
- The student population of 2117 students has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- The teacher population of 128 teachers has declined by 5% over five years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||2,117 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||128 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 15:1 over five years.
- The school's diversity score of 0.71 is more than the state average of 0.41. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- Cobb County School District's student population of 111,751 students has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- The district's graduation rate of 80% has decreased from 96% over five years.
- The revenue/student of $10,104 is higher than the state average of $10,007. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four years.
- The district's spending/student of $9,494 is less than the state average of $9,869. The district spending/student has declined by 6% over four years.
|School District Name||Cobb County School District|
|Number of Schools
|Number of Students Managed||111,751||3,306|
|District Total Revenue||$1,111 MM||$33 MM|
|District Spending||$1,044 MM||$33 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$10,104||$10,007|
|District Spending / Student||$9,494||$9,869|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Wheeler High School is located in northeast Cobb County, Georgia, USA. It is near the city of Marietta, about 15 miles northwest of downtown Atlanta. Wheeler has been in operation since 1965. It is a public school of the State of Georgia and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Georgia High School Association. It is most notable for its magnet program and nationally ranked boys basketball team.
- The Center For Advanced Studies Magnet Program: The program is a member of the National Consortium of Science, Math and Technology Magnet Schools (NCSSSMST), offering an advanced curriculum to highly motivated students. By 11th grade, Magnet students are taking college-level courses. Current students come from private, public and homeschool environments. The magnet offers an intimate, challenging education with like-minded peers. Admission is open to all qualified eighth graders who reside in Cobb County, Georgia. Admission is competitive and applications are due in early December. The Center for Advanced Studies is gaining national attention as a premier education opportunity.
- History: The Center for Advanced Studies opened in the fall of 2000 in a new 33,000 square foot facility designed especially for the program and located on the campus of Wheeler High School in Marietta, Georgia. It is currently receiving an expansion in the form of the construction of a new science wing. A more recent graduate of Wheeler high school, Andrew Marler, is currently the owner of several oil companies in India. He routinely visits Joseph Wheeler.
- Notable Achievements: Wheeler's basketball has been a nationally ranked program over the past few years, winning 3 State titles in 4 years. With wins over regional powerhouses from Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania, Wheeler's national profile continues to grow. With a variety of players at the college and pro level in many sports, Wheeler's athletic programs continue to improve. The robotics club participates in the FIRST Robotics League and BEST Robotics Championships each year, earning the Chairman's Award three years in a row. The 2005 One-Act Play "Jerry Finnegan's Sister" won the Region and State Titles and received the awards for Best Actor and Actress in Region and Best Actor in State. The debate team is nationally competitive and rapidly growing. Participants from the school were semifinalists in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair and the Siemens Westinghouse Competition in 2006.
- Population: Wheeler Cluster Schools include: Middle School - East Cobb Middle; Elementary Schools - East Valley, Sope Creek, Sedalia Park, Brumby & Powers Ferry.
- Wheeler offers a wide range of courses including honors courses, more than 25 AP classes, many Post-AP courses; including Genetics and Internship. Wheeler also has technical/vocational courses for those seeking a vocational diploma. The Center for Advanced Studies offers dual college prep and technology seals on a participant's high school diploma.
- MASCOT: Scratch the Wildcat.
- COLORS: Navy Blue, Gold, and White.
- Notable Alumni: Shareef Abdur-Rahim; Jeremy Hermida; Jermareo Davidson; Bob Tway; Robby Ginepri; Dax Griffin; Ed Guthrie; Robert Shaw; Russel Clayton.
- The school is named after civil war general Joseph Wheeler.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
MariettaEast Cobb Middle SchoolGrades: 6-8 | 1223 students
380 Holt Rd Ne
Marietta, GA 30068
MariettaSedalia Park Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 882 students
2230 Lower Roswell Rd
Marietta, GA 30068
MariettaEastvalley Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 712 students
2570 Lower Roswell Rd
Marietta, GA 30068
MariettaPowers Ferry Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 426 students
403 Powers Ferry Rd Se
Marietta, GA 30067
MariettaSope Creek Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 1151 students
3320 Paper Mill Rd Se
Marietta, GA 30067
Absolutely incredible school! It keeps getting better. There are times Wheeler does not get the credit it deserves, but I have had one child go to another more affluent school about 2 miles away and we moved and now 2 children go through Wheeler. Wheeler far surpasses the other school and we no longer have to get tutors for everything due to sit and get teachers. Thank you Wheeler!
- Posted by Parent - dawgs