Online Public Schools in CA
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||3,665 students|
|Gender %||52% Male / 48%Female|
|Total Classroom Teachers||145 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
|School District Name||Arcadia Unified School District|
|Number of Schools
|Number of Students Managed||9,719||1,577|
|District Total Revenue||$105 MM||$19 MM|
|District Spending||$104 MM||$18 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$167,710||$11,099|
|District Spending / Student||$165,018||$10,975|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Arcadia High School is a part of the Arcadia Unified School District and is a four-year comprehensive secondary school located on a 40 acre site within the city of Arcadia, California.
- The school was first opened in 1952, and later incorporated the ninth grade into the school in 1994. The incoming freshman class consists of students who graduated from Arcadiaâ€™s three middle schools (Richard Henry Dana Middle School, Foothills Middle School and First Avenue Middle).
- Arcadia High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and received a six year accreditation in June, 2004.
- Athletics: Arcadia High School is governed by the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section as a member of the Pacific League. Its athletic mascot is the Apache and its colors are cardinal and gold. The Apache boys compete in baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo. The Apache girls compete in basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and water polo. There are also a pep squad and Pep flags.
- Arcadia teams are very competitive and often qualify for the CIF playoffs. In 2005, boys soccer were finalists in the Division III CIF playoffs. The boys cross country program is one of the more dominant teams in the state, having placed 3rd and 7th in the 2005 and 2006 CIF-State Cross Country Championships in Division I, respectively. In 2006, the team finished 7th in the open race at the Nike Team Nationals.
- Arcadia is known for its Arcadia Invitational, which is the largest and most prestigious high school track meet in the world. The meet has witnessed many high school records being broken and featured future Olympians Marion Jones, Allyson Felix, Monique Henderson, and Alan Webb.
- Extracurricular Activities: Arcadia High School consists of many extracurricular activities including clubs, video production, journalism, yearbook, robotics, ROP, academic teams and performing arts groups. Its performing arts groups and academic teams consistently rank in the top of Southern California or in some instances, the world.
- Performing Arts: Arcadia maintains a large and diverse performing arts program. It has drama, orchesis choir and music programs.
- Music: The music department is very competitive at Arcadia, with a strong music program in the middle schools. The music department consists of groups such as the Marching Band, Orchestra, Color Guard and Percussion. The Arcadia Apache Marching Band is one of the largest bands in California with over 400 members. The band has marched in the Rose Parade in nearby Pasadena thirteen times. They have also marched in such diverse venues as the Gator Bowl parade and the 55th inaugural parade. Arcadia has held the annual Arcadia Festival of Bands since 1954. The orchestra has competed in the Heritage Festivals in numerous places, including Orlando, San Francisco and San Diego. Some students in both the band and orchestra programs have private tutors to improve their skills on their instrument.
- Academic Teams: Arcadia is also home to several powerhouse academic teams, including Academic Decathlon, Destination Imagination, Constitution Team, Speech and Debate, Math Team, National Ocean Sciences Bowl, National Science Bowl, Quiz Bowl, and Science Olympiad. The Constitution team has been one of the most consistent teams on campus and qualified for the State finals for the 19 consecutive years as of 2006. The Science Bowl and Quiz Bowl teams have become one of the more dominant teams in their respective regions. The Science Bowl team won the JPL regional in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2003 and thus qualified for the national tournament in each of those years. The Quiz Bowl team qualified for the NAQT HS national championship tournament in 2002, 2006 and 2007.
- Clubs: Arcadia High has many clubs governed by the associated student body, which include: Chinese Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Junior State of America, Key Club, National Honor Society, California Scholarship Federation, Interact Club, Leo Club, French Club, Pre-med Club, and Astronomy Club.
- 2004-2005 School Year Awards and Achievements: The Arcadia Marching Band marched in the 55th inaugural parade; The World Guard Placed 5th at WGI World Championships; The Percussion Ensemble Placed 9th at WGI World Championships; The Constitution team placed 4th in the state competition; Academic Decathlon placed 2nd in their division; Destination Imagination placed 2nd in their region; The Science Olympiad team placed 1st at the regional competition and 3rd at state competition; The Ocean Science Bowl team placed 3rd at regional tournament; Speech and Debate team places 3rd in California.
- 2005-2006 School Year Awards and Achievements: Boys cross country placed 3rd in the 2005 CIF-State Cross Country Championships in Division I; In 2005, boys soccer were finalists in the Division III CIF playoffs; The Percussion Ensemble placed 12th at WGI World Championships and 3rd at SC-PA Championships; The World Guard placed 3rd at WGI World Championships and 1st at WGASC championships; The speech and debate team placed 2nd at the State Qualifications category, and have sent more than 15 individuals to the State Champion Competition; The Constitution team placed 3rd in the state competition; The Quiz Bowl team won the Caltech High School Tournament and qualified for the NAQT HS National Championship Tournament; The Science Bowl team placed 2nd at JPL Regional tournament; The Science Olympiad team placed 2nd at regional competition and 5th at state competition.
- 2006-2007 School Year Awards and Achievements: Boys cross country placed 7th in the 2006 CIF-State Cross Country Championships in Division I. The team finished 7th in the open race at the Nike Team Nationals; In 2006, the band attended the Logan Field Tournament for the first time, representing the Southern California bands in a Northern California competition. The band won second place overall, earning the highest Percussion and Auxiliary scores of the night; The Quiz Bowl team won the TWAIN Tournament held at UCLA, took 2nd place at the Trojan Wars tournament held at USC and qualified for the NAQT HS National Championship Tournament. The team also placed 2nd in California and 24th in the world in the Knowledge Masters Open; The Constitution Team won its 19th consecutive regional competition.
- Notable alumni: Clay Matthews & Bruce Matthews both played football at Arcadia High, and then at USC. After college, Clay played for the Cleveland Browns and the Atlanta Falcons while Bruce played for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Tennessee Titans.
- Bruce Bochte, professional baseball player (MLB).
- Debbie Turner, played the role of Marta Von Trapp in The Sound of Music.
- Mark Smith, professional baseball player (MLB).
- Michael Anthony Sobolewski, bassist and a founding member of the hard rock band Van Halen.
- Patricia Turner, played Linda Dennison in Leave It To Beaver.
- Stephanie Lynn "Stevie" Nicks, musician--singer, songwriter, and keyboardist; member of rock band Fleetwood Mac attended AHS for her sophomore and junior years.
- Steve Kemp, professional baseball player (MLB).
- Source: Wikipedia; it is used under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Arcadia Holly Avenue Elementary School
360 West Duarte Rd
Arcadia , CA , 91007
Arcadia First Avenue Middle School
301 South First Ave
Arcadia , CA , 91006
Arcadia Richard Henry Dana Middle School
1401 South First Ave
Arcadia , CA , 91006
Arcadia Baldwin Stocker Elementary School
422 West Lemon Ave
Arcadia , CA , 91007
Arcadia Rancho Learning Center (alternative)
Arcadia , CA , 91006
(626)821-6629Alternative School1 mi | 47 students | Gr. 1-12
- October 17, 2011 - As a public school with an open enrollment, AHS is truly an excellent school that prepares our children to succeed at the next level. Both of our kids are AHS graduates. The older daughter finished her degree at UC Berkeley and is now pursuing her MBA at NYU. The younger son completed his double degrees at UC Irvine and is now a first year law student at USC. WE are really grateful for AHS for a job well done. - Posted by Parent
Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
-Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
-Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities