Online Public Schools in FL
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,603 students|
|Gender %||38% Male / 62%Female|
|Total Classroom Teachers||97 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
|School District Name||Hillsborough School District|
|Number of Schools
|Number of Students Managed||201,942||9,762|
|District Total Revenue||$1,906 MM||$138 MM|
|District Spending||$2,095 MM||$159 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$2,914,237||$13,793|
|District Spending / Student||$3,203,110||$15,882|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Blake Senior High School is a high school in Tampa, Florida, USA that was first opened in September of 1956 in honor of Howard W. Blake, a prominent alumni of Florida A&M, who strongly believed in the importance of educating young people.
- Blake was originally open to only African-American students in the Tampa area as one of the two black schools during segregation in Tampa, the other being its current rival school Middleton High School. After Tampa integrated the schools, Blake was shut down until 1997. Upon re-opening in 1997, the school added a magnet program for the visual, communication and performing arts. The magnet program has continued to make headlines and win countless awards within each of its departments over the years.
- Blake also boasts a strong academic curriculum, featuring over 15 Advanced Placement programs in which nearly all of the classes score higher on their AP tests than the National average. Blake has a reputation of being a somewhat dangerous school, such as in the 2005-2006 school year when a knife was rumored to be on campus and also, later in the same school year, a riot broke out off campus before school, gang related. Nine student were arrested and expelled.
- Blake's current principal is Ms. Jaqueline Haynes. It is well know for its Musical Theater, Acting, Drama, Journalism, Creative Writing, Art, Voice, Costume Design, Music (Band, Chorus, Orchestra) and Dance departments.
- Mission: The mission of Howard W. Blake High School is to guide all students to achieve their full potential in academics and the arts within an interactive environment. Blake High School will partner with students to attain the highest level achievement in the academics and the arts.
- Liberal Arts versus Performing Arts: The Magnet Program was designed to bring more students from the suburban areas in Tampa into the inner city, where the school is located. Otherwise Howard W. Blake would not have had as much diversity in its students. Some have argued though, that the magnet program even though it's supposed to promote diversity still manages to separate students into different groups. Students that are bussed in to Blake because it is the school that is assigned to their area are Liberal Arts students. The majority of them being black and latino students that live in the surrounding area and are lower middle class or below. Fine Arts students are bussed in from all over Hillsborough county. These students, for the most part, are caucasian. A fine art student can go through four years of high school without taking more than 6 classes with a liberal art student and vice versa. This has lead to division within the student body into these two different groups.
- Accelerated Education: Blake Accelerated Curriculum Program is an online high school magnet program in the School District of Hillsborough County. Our is one of seven franchises of Florida Virtual School. Our online program has certified teachers that are innovative and motivated to teach in an online format. This program allows students to complete about 95% of their coursework online. Students only report to campus for midterms, final exams, tutoring, and other testing settings. Students can actually customize their education to become accelerated or to just accommodate their needs. Some students accelerate their high school career by 1-2 years early.
- Creative Writing and Yellow Jacket Press: Yellow Jacket Press is produced by the Journalism Department at Blake School of the Arts in Tampa, Florida. The Creative Writing Department (a different Department from the Journalism Department) is home to the Yellow Jacket Press Chapbook Contest for Florida Poets. The participants in this contest include students of Blake and professional poets and writers from all around the state of Florida. Visit the Yellow Jackets press web page click here.
- Performing Arts: The performing arts program provides a structured opportunity for the study of drama, musical theatre and technical theatre as primary divisions of art and literature, the performance and production of plays, and the personal growth and development of the individual.
- Source: Wikipedia; it is used under the GNU Free Documentation License. You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Tampa Stewart Middle Magnet School
1125 West Spruce St
Tampa , FL , 33607
(813)276-5691Magnet School0.2 mi | 934 students | Gr. 6-8
Tampa Just Elementary School
1315 Spruce St
Tampa , FL , 33607
Tampa Metropolitan Ministries Partnership Elementary School
102 East Palm Ave
Tampa , FL , 33602
Tampa Mount Pleasant Standard Base Middle School
1906 North Rome Ave
Tampa , FL , 33607
(813)253-0053Charter School0.5 mi | 94 students | Gr. 6-8
Tampa Brewster Technical Center
2222 North Tampa St
Tampa , FL , 33602
(813)276-5448Vocational School0.6 mi | n/a students | Gr. 9-12
- May 16, 2011 - Our son is the one who actually chose to apply for the music program at Blake, as my wife and I knew very little about the school. After talking to several people, most in the music field, we agreed with our son. He is in both the marching band and the symphony band, and is loving every minute of it. Since he wants to be more into the writing and producing area of music, he is taking music theory. He is only a freshman, but he has learned a lot in that short period. My wife and I are band booster members and have a great time working with the kids, and the other parents as well. We believe that the education our son is receiving at Blake High school is going to help him get into a quality college program, and also has helped him meet some new friends that are some fine young people. I would strongly recommend Blake High school to anyone. - Posted by Parent
- January 17, 2011 - this is one of the top school for any young adult to come and get the best if not superior music education! - Posted by Parent
- May 03, 2010 - Worst school in Hillsborough County. Magnet program is simply a new name for integration. - Posted by Parent
Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
-Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
-Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities