John Redd Smith Elementary School
John Redd Smith Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 10%)
- John Redd Smith Elementary School's student population of 301 students has grown by 16% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 18 teachers has grown by 12% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-5|
|Total Students||301 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- John Redd Smith Elementary School's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 16:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall School Rank||#1316 out of 1,796 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Henry Co Pblc Schs School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Collinsville Collinsville Primary Grades: PK-2 | 335 students
15 Primary School Rd
Collinsville, VA 24078
(276)647-8932 0.1 PK-2 335
- Collinsville Henry Co/martinsville Regional Pgm
3300 Kings Mountain Rd
Collinsville, VA 24078
(540)634-4710 1.9 n/a n/a
- Stanleytown Stanleytown Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 316 students
74 Edgewood Dr
Stanleytown, VA 24168
(276)629-5084 2.1 PK-5 316
- Martinsville Martinsville High School Grades: 9-12 | 593 students
201 Brown St.
Martinsville, VA 24112
(276)403-5870 2.2 9-12 593
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of public school vouchers as they pertain to the education of students with disabilities.
As of 2014, nineteen states still allow corporal punishment – spanking and paddling the most common choices – in their public schools. However, some argue that not only are these punishments physically harmful, they also are disproportionately administered to students of color. As a result, House democrats have taken up the issue in a new bill that would ban all forms of corporal punishment nationwide.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.