Lake Street Elementary School serves 654 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Lake Street Elementary School placed in the top 10% of all schools in Indiana for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 66% (which is higher than the Indiana state average of 36%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 62% (which is higher than the Indiana state average of 43%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is lower than the Indiana state level of 16:1.
Minority enrollment is 21% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Indiana state average of 34% (majority Black and Hispanic).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 654 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 14:1
- Minority Enrollment: 21%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in IN
- Math Proficiency: 66% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 62% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IN Dept. of Education
Lake Street Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Indiana for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Lake Street Elementary School's student population of 654 students has grown by 24% over five school years.
The teacher population of 48 teachers has grown by 65% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Lake Street Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 1,755 schools in Indiana (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Lake Street Elementary School is 0.36, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.54. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (IN)
Overall Testing Rank
#114 out of 1755 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IN Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Lake Street Elementary School's ranking?
Lake Street Elementary School is ranked #114 out of 1,755 schools, which ranks it among the top 10% of public schools in Indiana.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
66% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 36% IN state average), while 62% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 43% IN state average).
How many students attend Lake Street Elementary School?
654 students attend Lake Street Elementary School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
79% of Lake Street Elementary School students are White, 14% of students are Hispanic, 3% of students are Two or more races, 2% of students are Asian, and 2% of students are Black.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Lake Street Elementary School?
Lake Street Elementary School has a student ration of 14:1, which is lower than the Indiana state average of 16:1.
What grades does Lake Street Elementary School offer ?
Lake Street Elementary School offers enrollment in grades Kindergarten-5
What school district is Lake Street Elementary School part of?
Lake Street Elementary School is part of Crown Point Community School Corporation School District.
Review Lake Street Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Public Schools Struggle to Accommodate Unaccompanied Migrant Children
Undocumented and unaccompanied migrant children, particularly among Hispanic populations, are rapidly increasing in number, especially in the southern United States. Federal law requires public schools to provide services to all children. Yet, many schools are struggling to accommodate this new wave of potential students who come to them without parents or guardians, while some municipalities are flat out refusing to accommodate these children.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
March 06, 2023Have Smartphones Ruined Public Education?
I used to think that students having smartphones in school was a bad thing. Not any more. Here are my reasons why.