South Koochiching School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 4 public schools managed by South Koochiching School District serving 270 students in Birchdale, Minnesota.
- Minority enrollment is 16% of the student body (majority American Indian and Black), which is less than the Minnesota state average of 33%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 7:1 is less than the state average of 16:1.
South Koochiching School District (2020)
- School Location Grades Students
- Birchdale Indus Elementary School8560 Hwy 11
Birchdale, MN 56629
Grades: PK-6 | 43 students
- Birchdale Indus Secondary8560 Hwy 11
Birchdale, MN 56629
Grades: 7-12 | 49 students
- Northome Northome Elementary School11731 Hwy 1
Northome, MN 56661
Grades: PK-6 | 102 students
- Northome Northome Secondary11731 Hwy 1
Northome, MN 56661
Grades: 7-12 | 76 students
|School District Name||South Koochiching School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||125 students|
|# of Teachers||21 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
|# of Male Students||61 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||64 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||6 students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||2 students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||3 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||5 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||104 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||5 students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||-|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||-|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||20|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||21|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||22|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||26|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||17|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||19|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- South Koochiching School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 511 school districts in Minnesota (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 60-79% has decreased from 70-79% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MN)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $17,507 is higher than the state average of $11,402. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $18,212 is higher than the state average of $11,598. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MN)|
|Total Revenue||$6 MM||$6 MM|
|Spending||$6 MM||$6 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$17,507||$11,402|
|Spending / Student||$18,212||$11,598|
Learn about the pros and cons surrounding year-round schools through studies arguing that students perform better in school without a summer break.
Your child’s education is not just his teacher’s responsibility. As a parent, you have the ability to supplement your child’s education at home and to help him succeed in school. Read on to learn some tips to help your child make the most of his education in 2020.
Childhood experiences shape who we become as adults, for good and bad. The new Surgeon General of California is pushing for childhood trauma screening in students in the hopes of resolving some of the issues that might later lead to the development of physical and mental health problems.