Ps/is 217 Roosevelt Island
- Ps/is 217 Roosevelt Island's student population of 621 students has grown by 16% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 42 teachers has grown by 7% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||621 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Ps/is 217 Roosevelt Island is ranked within the top 50% of all 4,239 schools in New York (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 15:1 has increased from 14:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (NY)|
|Overall School Rank (16-17)||#1360 out of 4239 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||13:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||New York City Geographic District # 2 School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York P.S. 158 Baylard Taylor Grades: PK-5 | 787 students
1458 York Ave
New York, NY 10021
(212)744-6562 0.4 PK-5 787
- Astoria P.S. 76 William Hallet Grades: PK-5 | 456 students
36-36 10th St
Astoria, NY 11106
(718)361-7464 0.4 PK-5 456
- New York Yorkville East Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 233 students
1458 York Ave
New York, NY 10075
(917)432-5413 0.4 6-8 233
- New York Eleanor Roosevelt High School Grades: 9-12 | 538 students
411 E 76th St
New York, NY 10021
(212)772-1220 0.5 9-12 538
- Long Island City P.S. 111 Jacob Blackwell Grades: PK-8 | 312 students
37-15 13th St
Long Island City, NY 11101
(718)786-2073 0.6 PK-8 312
We have been at 217 for a number of years now, and have had an amazing experience here. The teachers, in particular, are wonderful - they really care so much about each child. Whenever there is an issue with any of my kids, the teachers reach out to communicate and collaborate with us to help resolve any problems and ensure that children are learning and growing. The school facilities are as good (or better?) than many private schools, and being located in such a safe community with so many parks and the new Cornell campus is a bonus!
- Posted by Parent - D
Frankly this school was awesome. I graduated from their in 2014, my teachers were good to me. I had good and pleasant memories from there, I even have friends from that school since kindergarten and they go to the same school as I do currently
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Tulip
Being a teacher has never been easy but changes in federal funding and legislation have made it harder than ever for public school teachers. Keep reading to learn more.
Say goodbye to mystery meat - and all other types of meat - at public school cafeterias that are embracing the Meatless Monday trend.
Growing cases of contaminated tap water at public schools around the country are raising more than eyebrows. Learn about whether or not public schools' tap water is safe to drink.