Westshore Junior/senior High School
Westshore Junior/senior High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Florida for:
View the Westshore Junior/senior High School yearly calendar below.
- West Shore Junior - Senior High School, or as it is more often known, West Shore, is a secondary school located at 250 Wildcat Alley in Melbourne, Florida. It is the first 'School of Choice' in Brevard County, Florida. Located in the city of Melbourne, Florida, West Shore aims to deliver quality education to students from grades seven through twelve, and help these children to fulfill the school's motto, "Excellence Achieved."
- Enrollment: As a public school, West Shore accepts any student who has met minimum academic and social expectations set by the school, provided there is space available. If there are more students interested in the school than is space available, a lottery is held to determine acceptance.
- Highlights: West Shore is unique in several areas, highlighted below: The Maximum enrollment for all grades is capped at 950 students, in an effort to keep class sizes small.
- Students are accepted from across the county. However, most students enrolled reside in southern Brevard county, mainly Melbourne, Palm Bay, Rockledge, West Melbourne and the Melbourne barrier island beachside.
- Graduation requirements are increased from the minimum set by the county, with the addition of two extra credits, leadership in one or more areas or projects, 80 hours total of documented volunteer work, two completed areas of accelerated study with either Advanced Placement classes or Dual Enrollment at the local community college, eligibility for at least one post secondary scholarship, and completion of a senior project (similar to a senior thesis).
- Activity period once a week, providing for the development of clubs and organizations.
- Dress code (no torn or ripped clothing, please).
- Student Publications: The Roar is the student run newspaper published almost monthly. The Roar is designed, written, and published by students in the Newspaper class.
- Alter Ego is the high shool literary mag, commonly shortened to the lit mag. It contains poetry, prose, and artwork entirely produced by West Shore students.
- Other information: West Shore currently offers twelve Advanced Placement courses: Calculus, Statistics, United States History, World History, American Government, English Literature, English Language, Spanish, French, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology, and Music Theory.
- Theatrical Productions: The drama department has put on productions of: Twelve Angry Men; Bye Bye Birdie; Anne of Green Gables; Dracula; A Midsummer's Night Dream; Broadway Bound (a collection of musical pieces and scenes from various Broadway musicals); A Night of Theater (a collection of skits and scenes from various theatrical productions); Pollyanna; Mame; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The King and I (from least recent to most recent)
- Both Boy's Soccer and Girl's Golf teams have been District Champions, and were 2003-2004 Regional Semi-Finalists, and Finalists (respectively).
Review Westshore Junior/senior High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities