Baxter Academy For Technical & Sciences
Baxter Academy For Technical & Sciences places among the top 20% of public schools in Maine for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 10%)
- Reading/Language Arts Proficiency Highest reading/language arts proficiency (Top 1%)
- Graduation Rate Highest graduation rate (Top 5%)
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 20%)
- Baxter Academy For Technical & Sciences's student population of 400 students has grown by 81% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 30 teachers has grown by 66% over five school years.
|School Type||Charter School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||400 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Baxter Academy For Technical & Sciences is ranked within the top 10% of all 523 schools in Maine (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 13:1 has increased from 12:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (ME)|
|Overall School Rank||#51 out of 523 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||80-84%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||12:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Baxter Academy For Technology And Science School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Howard C Reiche Community School Grades: PK-5 | 438 students
166 Brackett St
Portland, ME 04102
(207)874-8175 0.5 PK-5 438
- Portland Portland High School Grades: 9-12 | 756 students
284 Cumberland Av
Portland, ME 04101
(207)874-8250 0.5 9-12 756
- Portland King Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 519 students
92 Deering Av
Portland, ME 04102
(207)874-8140 0.9 6-8 519
- South Portland Daniel F. Mahoney Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 296 students
240 Ocean St.
South Portland, ME 04106
(207)799-7386 1.3 6-8 296
Baxter is an innovative public charter school with emphasis on learning through hands on projects, including one day each week where highly motivated students work on a year long project of their own design. Starting with a freshman and sophomore class its first year, its outgrown its facility as it built up to to 9th through 12th grades and will be moving to a new site in Portland for more adequate accommodations. Dedicated teachers. My son (1st graduating class) thrived there. He's is now doing well in college, enrolled as an engineering major.
- Posted by Parent - Bob
Nearby Homes for Sale
What happens when a school district stops busing students? Could segregation once again be a reality for public school districts? Wake County in North Carolina is testing the segregation waters with its decision to stop busing students in their district.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the financial impact of COVID-19 on public schools and what to expect in the future. We’ll talk about the effects of budget cuts and other challenges affecting the public school system for the remainder of this school year and into the next.
As the nation works to recover from COVID-19, parents wonder what the fall of 2020 holds in terms of the upcoming school year. Read on to learn some tips for preparing for potential challenges and to see the answers to some of the biggest questions being asked by parents of school-age children.