Maine Public Schools
- Maine is the #43 largest school system in the United States, serving 176,412 students across 614 public schools.
- Maine public schools have a diversity score of 0.12, which is lower than the national average of 0.32.
- Minority enrollment is 10% (majority Black and Hispanic) and the student:teacher ratio is 12:1.
Student by Ethnicity
(ME) School Average
Two or more races
Maine Public Schools by County
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 35 Schools15,380 Students19% Minority
- 48 Schools9,467 Students8% Minority
- 97 Schools39,262 Students16% Minority
- 17 Schools4,450 Students4% Minority
- 33 Schools6,125 Students7% Minority
- 54 Schools16,611 Students7% Minority
- 24 Schools4,565 Students5% Minority
- 18 Schools3,713 Students4% Minority
- 32 Schools8,365 Students5% Minority
- 76 Schools20,570 Students7% Minority
- 8 Schools2,205 Students4% Minority
- 18 Schools4,894 Students7% Minority
- 33 Schools7,059 Students4% Minority
- 26 Schools4,591 Students6% Minority
- 36 Schools3,852 Students9% Minority
- 59 Schools25,303 Students7% Minority
May 03, 2018
Tracking was once the standard of public education in the United States but today there is a great deal of controversy regarding its relevance. Consider the pros and cons of tracking to decide whether it might be a good option for your child.
May 03, 2018
We explore the various models of governance of public schools in the U.S. today, breaking down the responsibilities of the federal, state and local governments.
April 05, 2018
Every year, standardized tests reveal that public school performance is woefully low. Yet you pay taxes to fund public education, so where does that money go? Keep reading to find out how much it really costs to educate your child.