Top Maine Public Schools
- Maine is the #43 largest school system in the United States, serving 175,822 students across the top 610 public schools for the 2018-19 school year.
- Maine public schools have a diversity score of 0.12, which is lower than the national average of 0.32.
- Minority enrollment is 10% (majority Black and Hispanic) and the student:teacher ratio is 12:1.
Student by Ethnicity
(ME) School Average
Two or more races
Top Maine Public Schools by County (2018-19)
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 35 Schools15,380 Students19% Minority
- 48 Schools9,467 Students8% Minority
- 97 Schools39,262 Students16% Minority
- 17 Schools4,450 Students4% Minority
- 32 Schools5,922 Students7% Minority
- 54 Schools16,611 Students7% Minority
- 24 Schools4,565 Students5% Minority
- 18 Schools3,713 Students4% Minority
- 32 Schools8,365 Students5% Minority
- 74 Schools20,380 Students7% Minority
- 8 Schools2,205 Students4% Minority
- 18 Schools4,894 Students7% Minority
- 32 Schools6,862 Students4% Minority
- 26 Schools4,591 Students6% Minority
- 36 Schools3,852 Students9% Minority
- 59 Schools25,303 Students7% Minority
We analyze on a new study that shows restricting sugary snacks in vending machines in schools resulted in less weight-gain over a three-year period.
A number of school districts across the country are considering the closure of some of their public schools. We’ll look at reasons for the closures and what parents are doing to protest.
We report on the back to school campaign launched by CPS despite huge issues facing the district, including reports of school officials lying to get their children free lunches, conflicts between administrators and teachers’ union, and a lower bond rating.