Birney Elementary School
- Birney Elementary School's student population of 538 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 21 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||538 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Birney Elementary School is ranked within the top 20% of all 9,602 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#1437 out of 9602 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||23:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||San Diego Unified School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Diego Garfield Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 254 students
4487 Oregon St.
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 362-4300 0.8 K-5 254
- San Diego Florence Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 240 students
3914 First Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 344-5900 1.0 K-5 240
- San Diego Roosevelt International Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 983 students
3366 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 293-4450 1.0 6-8 983
- San Diego Jefferson Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 411 students
3770 Utah St.
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 344-3300 1.1 K-5 411
In light of an upcoming study on Montessori education in South Carolina, as well as the growing popularity of the Montessori Method in public charter schools, we’ll take a look at the principles behind Montessori education and whether it is an effective method for preparing some students for the professional world or higher education.
Across the nation, city mayors have increased their role and control over the local public school system. Learn about the controversies and the ramifications of mayoral control.
In light of all the finger-pointing occurring in the education reform movement, we’ll look at the good and bad of teachers unions – and whether these organizations really work in favor of students and/or teachers.