Hazel Green High School
- Hazel Green High School (HGHS) is located in Hazel Green in north Madison County, Alabama, USA. It is operated by the Madison County Board of Education.
- History: Hazel Green High School has a long line of history that forms the present school open today. 1819 is the earliest record of a school in Hazel Green, Alabama. As of that time, the area of Hazel Green was extremely rural. Hazel Green School, as it was known by, was a small private school house located somewhere in between what is now Hazel Green Elementary and Highway 431. Students were solicited in the Alabama Republican to attend Hazel Green School for one dollar per month. After that time, records show that numerous other schools were started. All schools within the Hazel Green district were private until a school with the same name of Hazel Green School emerged in 1920. On May 8, 1916, an amount of one thousand dollars was approved and granted to build the new public Hazel Green School. A two story building was constructed holding ninety-seven students and three teachers within its first year of operation. From there, Hazel Green School was rebuilt three times (rebuilt in 1928, 1962, and 1994 to hold more capacity.) From 1920 until fall of 1994, (when the newest building was opened) Hazel Green School was a unit school for grades K-12. It was not until 1994 that Hazel Green School's upper grades were formed into Hazel Green High School (grades 9-12.)
- Mascot: Originally, due to the school's mascot, Hazel Green school was known as the Greenies (mythical elf like creature.) This changed however when considerations arose in the 60's about the school color in comparison to the mascot. The colors at the time were red and white with a mascot known as the Greenies. The HGS Booster club decided either the colors or the mascot had to be replaced. In 1965, Hazel Green School's mascot was switched to the TROJANS. The switch to this particular mascot was inspired by University of Southern California's football success and popularity.
- Extracurricular activities: HGHS spirit reaches beyond the textbooks. It is home to many extracurricular activities as well. School involvement ranges from school sports of various kinds, to memberships with national organizations. Notable school activities/clubs/organizations include:
- Arts: Concert Band, Jazz Band, Marching Band, Art Club, National Art Honor Society, Drama Club, Choir.
- Boys Sports: Baseball, Basketball (Varsity, JV), Track, Football (Varsity, JV, Freshman), Golf, Soccer (Varsity, JV), Swim team, Tennis.
- Girls Sports: Basketball (Varsity, JV, Freshman); Cheerleading, Fall and Winter (Varsity, JV-- football, basketball, competition); Soccer (Varsity, JV); Softball; Swim team; Tennis; Track; Volleyball; Dance Team.
- Clubs/Organizations: FCCLA, YDA, FFA, JROTC, Spanish Club, Spanish National Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Students (FCS)/First Priority, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), SADD, Stand Up, Hazel Green Crazies (Sports fan club), French Club, French National Honor Society, Scholars Bowl, Junior Civitan, Science Olympiad, SCA, FBLA, NHS, TARS, Quill and Scroll, Trojan Ambassadors (official student hosts for HGHS), International Thespian Society.
Review Hazel Green High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities