Hazel Green High School
- Hazel Green High School's student population of 1,340 students has declined by 5% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 69 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,340 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||69 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Hazel Green High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,263 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 19:1 has decreased from 20:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (AL)|
|Overall School Rank (16-17)||#697 out of 1263 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||18:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Madison County School District|
- Hazel Green High School (HGHS) is located in Hazel Green in north Madison County, Alabama, USA. It is operated by the Madison County Board of Education.
- History: Hazel Green High School has a long line of history that forms the present school open today. 1819 is the earliest record of a school in Hazel Green, Alabama. As of that time, the area of Hazel Green was extremely rural. Hazel Green School, as it was known by, was a small private school house located somewhere in between what is now Hazel Green Elementary and Highway 431. Students were solicited in the Alabama Republican to attend Hazel Green School for one dollar per month. After that time, records show that numerous other schools were started. All schools within the Hazel Green district were private until a school with the same name of Hazel Green School emerged in 1920. On May 8, 1916, an amount of one thousand dollars was approved and granted to build the new public Hazel Green School. A two story building was constructed holding ninety-seven students and three teachers within its first year of operation. From there, Hazel Green School was rebuilt three times (rebuilt in 1928, 1962, and 1994 to hold more capacity.) From 1920 until fall of 1994, (when the newest building was opened) Hazel Green School was a unit school for grades K-12. It was not until 1994 that Hazel Green School's upper grades were formed into Hazel Green High School (grades 9-12.)
- Mascot: Originally, due to the school's mascot, Hazel Green school was known as the Greenies (mythical elf like creature.) This changed however when considerations arose in the 60's about the school color in comparison to the mascot. The colors at the time were red and white with a mascot known as the Greenies. The HGS Booster club decided either the colors or the mascot had to be replaced. In 1965, Hazel Green School's mascot was switched to the TROJANS. The switch to this particular mascot was inspired by University of Southern California's football success and popularity.
- Extracurricular activities: HGHS spirit reaches beyond the textbooks. It is home to many extracurricular activities as well. School involvement ranges from school sports of various kinds, to memberships with national organizations. Notable school activities/clubs/organizations include:
- Arts: Concert Band, Jazz Band, Marching Band, Art Club, National Art Honor Society, Drama Club, Choir.
- Boys Sports: Baseball, Basketball (Varsity, JV), Track, Football (Varsity, JV, Freshman), Golf, Soccer (Varsity, JV), Swim team, Tennis.
- Girls Sports: Basketball (Varsity, JV, Freshman); Cheerleading, Fall and Winter (Varsity, JV-- football, basketball, competition); Soccer (Varsity, JV); Softball; Swim team; Tennis; Track; Volleyball; Dance Team.
- Clubs/Organizations: FCCLA, YDA, FFA, JROTC, Spanish Club, Spanish National Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Students (FCS)/First Priority, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), SADD, Stand Up, Hazel Green Crazies (Sports fan club), French Club, French National Honor Society, Scholars Bowl, Junior Civitan, Science Olympiad, SCA, FBLA, NHS, TARS, Quill and Scroll, Trojan Ambassadors (official student hosts for HGHS), International Thespian Society.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Hazel Green Hazel Green Elementary School Grades: PK-4 | 743 students
14250 Highway 231431 N
Hazel Green, AL 35750
(256)851-4540 0.2 PK-4 743
- Hazel Green Meridianville Middle School Grades: 7-8 | 625 students
12975 Highway 231431 N
Hazel Green, AL 35750
(256)851-4550 3.1 7-8 625
- New Market Moores Mill Intermediate School Grades: 4-6 | 748 students
1210 Walker Lane
New Market, AL 35761
(256)851-4700 3.4 4-6 748
- Meridianville Lynn Fanning Elementary School Grades: PK-3 | 559 students
8861 Moores Mill Rd
Meridianville, AL 35759
(256)851-4680 4.5 PK-3 559
Quality of academic programs is average for the county. Facillities are O.K., and clean enough. Level of parent involvement is too low. The sdministration and counselors ignore us and act like we should shut up and let them do what they want no matter what our kids need. I tried to fix a schedule and you would have thought I kicked their puppy for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Who works for who here?
- Posted by Parent - barde