Huffman High Schoolmagnet
Huffman High Schoolmagnet serves 1,363 students in grades 8-12.
Huffman High Schoolmagnet placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in Alabama for overall test scores (math proficiency is bottom 50%, and reading proficiency is bottom 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 11% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 14% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 45%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 18:1 is higher than the Alabama state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 99% of the student body (majority Black), which is higher than the Alabama state average of 45% (majority Black).
Huffman High Schoolmagnet's student population of 1,363 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 77 teachers has grown by 10% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Huffman High Schoolmagnet is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,263 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Huffman High Schoolmagnet is 0.13, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (AL)
Overall Testing Rank
#1238 out of 1263 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
National School Lunch Program
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, AL Dept. of Education
- Huffman High School is a secondary school located in Birmingham, Alabama. The school colors are orange and green. The school's athletic teams are known as the Vikings.
- Notable alumni: Notable alumni of Huffman High School include: Ruben Studdard, winner of the American Idol second season.
- The school holds the national title for best drum majors, danceline, percussion & the second ranked band in the United States according to the 2006 National High School High-Stepping Championship.
- Andre Smith, the first offensive lineman to win Mr. Football in the state of Alabama, graduated in 2006. He is now the starting left tackle for the Alabama Crimson Tide football team and was the number one rated high school offensive lineman in 2006.
Review Huffman High Schoolmagnet. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Tutoring & Supplemental Education: The Pros and Cons
We look at the pros and cons of personal tutors, learning centers and other types of supplemental education.
What Public School Students Should Expect After COVID-19
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the financial impact of COVID-19 on public schools and what to expect in the future. We’ll talk about the effects of budget cuts and other challenges affecting the public school system for the remainder of this school year and into the next.
Miami-Dade Teachers to Receive Mental Health Training
In response to the Sandy Hook tragedy, Miami-Dade Schools will now be offering mandatory mental health training to faculty and staff inside the district schools.