Huffman High Schoolmagnet serves 1,159 students in grades 8-12.
Huffman High Schoolmagnet placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in Alabama for overall test scores (math proficiency is bottom 50%, and reading proficiency is bottom 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is ≤5% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 24%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is ≤5% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 46%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 21:1 is higher than the Alabama state level of 18:1.
Minority enrollment is 99% of the student body (majority Black), which is higher than the Alabama state average of 47% (majority Black).
- School Type: Magnet School
- Grades: 8-12
- Enrollment: 1,159 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 21:1
- Minority Enrollment: 99%
- Graduation Rate: 91% (Top 50% in AL)
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50%
- Math Proficiency: ≤5% (Btm 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: ≤5% (Btm 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
Huffman High Schoolmagnet's student population of 1,159 students has declined by 17% over five school years.
The teacher population of 55 teachers has declined by 21% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Huffman High Schoolmagnet is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,276 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Huffman High Schoolmagnet is 0.23, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.62. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (AL)
Overall Testing Rank
#1214 out of 1276 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
- Huffman High School is a secondary school located in Birmingham, Alabama. The school colors are orange and green. The school's athletic teams are known as the Vikings.
- Notable alumni: Notable alumni of Huffman High School include: Ruben Studdard, winner of the American Idol second season.
- The school holds the national title for best drum majors, danceline, percussion & the second ranked band in the United States according to the 2006 National High School High-Stepping Championship.
- Andre Smith, the first offensive lineman to win Mr. Football in the state of Alabama, graduated in 2006. He is now the starting left tackle for the Alabama Crimson Tide football team and was the number one rated high school offensive lineman in 2006.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Huffman High Schoolmagnet's ranking?
Huffman High Schoolmagnet is ranked #1214 out of 1,276 schools, which ranks it among the bottom 50% of public schools in Alabama.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
≤5% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 24% AL state average), while ≤5% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 46% AL state average).
What is the graduation rate of Huffman High Schoolmagnet?
The graduation rate of Huffman High Schoolmagnet is 91%, which is higher than the Alabama state average of 89%.
How many students attend Huffman High Schoolmagnet?
1,159 students attend Huffman High Schoolmagnet.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
87% of Huffman High Schoolmagnet students are Black, 10% of students are Hispanic, 2% of students are Two or more races, and 1% of students are White.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Huffman High Schoolmagnet?
Huffman High Schoolmagnet has a student ration of 21:1, which is higher than the Alabama state average of 18:1.
What grades does Huffman High Schoolmagnet offer ?
Huffman High Schoolmagnet offers enrollment in grades 8-12
What school district is Huffman High Schoolmagnet part of?
Huffman High Schoolmagnet is part of Birmingham City School District.
Review Huffman High Schoolmagnet. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
The Link between Music and a Child’s Math Abilities
Learn about the influence of music on a child’s cognitive mathematical abilities.
August 04, 2023Preparing for a Successful 'Back to School'
A one-stop guide for parents navigating the 'back to school' season, providing practical and effective strategies tailored to every grade level - from pre-K to high school.
July 25, 2023The Evolving Role of Interim Assessments
Explore the often-overlooked tool in K-12 education - interim assessments. Understand what they are, their importance, and how they can enhance your child's learning experience. Dive into real-world case studies and find out how technology is changing the game. This informative, parent-friendly article aims to shed light on the value of these assessments in today's educational landscape.