Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School
Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School serves 573 students in grades 3-5.
Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School placed in the top 10% of all schools in Alabama for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 72% (which is higher than the Alabama state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 63% (which is higher than the Alabama state average of 45%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 20:1 is higher than the Alabama state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 40% of the student body (majority Black), which is lower than the Alabama state average of 45% (majority Black).
Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Alabama for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School's student population of 573 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 28 teachers has grown by 7% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 1,263 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School is 0.56, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (AL)
Overall Testing Rank
#111 out of 1263 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, AL Dept. of Education
Review Margaret Yarbrough Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Should Sixth Grade Be in Elementary School or Middle School?
Should sixth graders be placed in elementary or middle school? We explore the pros and cons of the issue.
Parental Involvement is Key to Student Success
Parental involvement plays an important role in student success.
Single-Sex Public Schools
Learn about single-sex education in public schools.