Northwood High School
Northwood High School serves 268 students in grades 9-12.
Northwood High School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 90-94% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 82%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 80-84% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 78%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is lower than the Virginia state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 7% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is lower than the Virginia state average of 54% (majority Black).
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 268 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 13:1
- Minority Enrollment: 7%
- Graduation Rate: ≥95% (Top 10% in VA)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30%
- Math Proficiency: 90-94% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 80-84% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
Northwood High School's student population of 268 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 20 teachers has declined by 9% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Northwood High School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,800 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Northwood High School is 0.13, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (VA)
Overall Testing Rank
#392 out of 1800 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
Review Northwood High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
What does the Country's Most Expensive School Look Like?
Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools win the award for the country’s most expensive campus, clocking in at a price tag of one-half of a billion dollars. Take a walk down the hall to experience the priciest public school in America.
Detroit Schools: District Is Failing Its Students According To Test Scores
We report on dismal math and reading test scores of Detroit public school students and what’s being done to bring scores up to par.
August 05, 2022Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.