P.S. 40 George W Carver
P.S. 40 George W Carver places among the top 20% of public schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 20%)
- P.S. 40 George W Carver's student population of 316 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 21 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||316 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- P.S. 40 George W Carver is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 4,239 schools in New York (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 15:1 has increased from 14:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (NY)|
|Overall School Rank (16-17)||#3035 out of 4239 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||40-44%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||25-29%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||13:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||New York City Geographic District #16 School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- The nearest high school to P.S. 40 George W Carver is Gotham Professional Arts Academy (0.0 miles away)
- The nearest middle school is Excellence Boys Charter School Of Bedford Stuyvesant (0.3 miles away)
- The nearest elementary school is P.S. 28 Warren Prep Academy (0.2 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Brooklyn Gotham Professional Arts Academy Grades: 9-12 | 169 students
265 Ralph Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11233
(718)455-0746 0.0 9-12 169
- Brooklyn P.S. 28 Warren Prep Academy Grades: PK-5 | 131 students
1001 Herkimer St
Brooklyn, NY 11233
(718)467-2865 0.2 PK-5 131
- Brooklyn Excellence Boys Charter School Of Bedford Stuyvesant Grades: K-8 | 812 students
225 Patchen Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11233
(718)638-1830 0.3 K-8 812
Excellent environment and always positive.
- Posted by Parent - Nicole
We are parents of a soon to be 5th grade graduate and her name is Sari Price. Our daughter was nominated by her teacher Ms. Lewis to attend the Junior National Young Leaders Conference (JrNYLC) to be held this summer 2009 in Washington, D.C. Sari was recognized for her academic achievements and leadership potential. We had no idea that P.S. 40 extended such prestigious opportunities for our children. This nomination is truly a blessing and honor for our child. As parents, we were not surprised by Sari's abilities, strength of character or her leadership ability. However, we were blown away that our daugher's hard work had not gone unrecognized. We are ever so grateful as this opportunity allows for great exposure for our daughter and it will give her a lifetime of memories. We will do our part as parents and allow this to become Sari's reality. This will be a life changing experience for her and will open up many windows of opportunities. We have always instilled in our child to lead by example and that she should always respect and treat others how she wants to be treated. It hasn't been easy for her to take on such a grown up character. Yet, with the support from the entire faculty and staff at P.S. 40 and of course the constant support of her parents. Sari has mentioned that the faculty and staff is by far the most loving and caring extended family to every student that attends P.S. 40. As parents of a child who has attended P.S. 40 from K to grade 5 it gives us "GREAT PLEASURE" in knowing that hard work truly does pay off for all involved. When they said, "It takes a village to raise a child" we will say it was our pleasure to have the P.S. 40 faculty and staff raise our child in our absence as we worked to be decent providers for our child. We say to P.S 40 faculty and staff, "KUDOS!" Parents of P.S. we would like to say to you, "your childs education is your responsibility, take interest, be involved, get involved and support the faculty and staff of P.S 40 and reinforce that which is being taught to your children." This makes for a happier school environment for all involved and your children will thank you for your involvement during this, the most critical time in their young lives. I encourage you to allow them to be all that they can be and for you the parents to be everything your child needs for you to be to them and that is their "ROLE MODEL." Written with respect and admiration by John and Donna Price
- Posted by Parent - ladyb
Newsweek’s annual ranking of the best high schools in America has just been released based upon wider criteria than ever before. See where your high school stands and which campuses won the top accolades.
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.