Red Hill Elementary School
Red Hill Elementary School serves 169 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Red Hill Elementary School placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is bottom 50%, and reading proficiency is bottom 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 70-74% (which is lower than the Virginia state average of 82%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 65-69% (which is lower than the Virginia state average of 78%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is lower than the Virginia state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 28% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Virginia state average of 54% (majority Black).
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Students: 169 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 13:1
- Minority Enrollment: 28%
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50% in VA
- Math Proficiency: 70-74% (Btm 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 65-69% (Btm 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
Red Hill Elementary School's student population of 169 students has grown by 14% over five school years.
The teacher population of 13 teachers has declined by 13% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Red Hill Elementary School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,800 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Red Hill Elementary School is 0.46, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (VA)
Overall Testing Rank
#1502 out of 1800 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
1. The quality of academic programs at Red Hill is a B+. Often children at the lower end and the higher end of the spectrum are not given the attention they deserve. 2. The music, art and sports are an A+, including an award winning author, Pam Walker, as Director of Physical Education. 3. The facilities are pretty old and decaying. The main building is a sad looking 1970's cinderblock penitentiary and there are several "learning cottages" which are crummy old trailers. 4. There is a very exclusive group of rich parents that try to control the entire school along with a horrible micro-managing principal.
Review Red Hill Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.