Ruskin Elementary School
Ruskin Elementary School serves 491 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Ruskin Elementary School placed in the top 10% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 73% (which is higher than the California state average of 40%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 74% (which is higher than the California state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 25:1 is higher than the California state level of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 95% of the student body (majority Asian), which is higher than the California state average of 78% (majority Hispanic and Asian).
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Students: 491 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 25:1
- Minority Enrollment: 95%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in CA
- Math Proficiency: 73% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 74% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Ruskin Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Ruskin Elementary School's student population of 491 students has declined by 21% over five school years.
The teacher population of 20 teachers has declined by 20% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Ruskin Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 9,659 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Ruskin Elementary School is 0.37, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.63. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (CA)
Overall Testing Rank
#838 out of 9659 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
There has been high teacher turnover in the past few years. Parents have concerns about the adminstration quality and responsiveness. The Berryessa Union School District (BUSD) separates siblings into two different elementary schools and considers this is an acceptable situation despite the parents' preference to keep their children together. Starting the 2014-15 school year, in the BUSD you are no longer guaranteed enrollment in your designated school of attendance. That means if you buy a house in the Ruskin area, your children may have to attend a different school in the district. Then, if space becomes available in later years, your child will be invited back. In past years, you were guaranteed enrollment back to your designated school. This is no longer the case. I would think that the homeowners and potential homebuyers in the area would be concerned with this policy change.
Review Ruskin Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.