- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 1,948 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 20:1
- Minority Enrollment: 99%
- Graduation Rate: 92% (Top 30% in CA)
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50%
- Math Proficiency: 20% (Btm 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 51% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
San Fernando Senior High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- San Fernando High School, located in San Fernando, California, is a secondary school that is a part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The school colors are black and gold. All girl teams are referred to as Lady Tigers, all boy teams simply as Tigers.It is the only high school in California with Project G.R.A.D.(Graduation Really Achieves Dreams). San Fernando High School also has the Puente Project, a national-award winning program which has assisted thousands of students reach their dreams of college success.
- History: San Fernando High School, the second oldest school in the San Fernando Valley, was established in 1896. The first campus was located on Fifth Street and Hager Street. In 1906 the school was moved to a site on North Brand Boulevard. In 1952 the school moved to its present location at 11133 O'Melveny Avenue. The North Brand Boulevard location now houses San Fernando Middle School.
- San Fernando High School's attendance boundary changed numerous times as new high schools opened in the area. In the fall of 2006, 9th and 10th graders in a portion of San Fernando High School's 2005-2006 school year zone will attend Arleta High School instead of San Fernando; Arleta will phase in grades 11 through 12.
- The school will be relieved when Valley Region High School 5 opens in 2011.
- Football: Operating the wishbone offense (a rarity in California) with future USC stars Charles White and Kevin Willimas, San Fernando High won the L.A. City Football title in 1974 and 1975. Prior to the 1975 season, they were ranked #1 in the country. In 1976 they lost their first game of the season to Gardena High by a score of 41-0. The team rebounded, losing only one more game (and defeating John Elway's Granada Hills High team along the way) to earn a spot in the city playoffs. They went on to defeat Gardena High School to win the city title.
- Wrestling: The San Fernando High School wrestling team currently holds the largest number of city championships in Los Angeles. In the spring season of 2006, the Tiger wrestling team had a perfect undefeated season of 21-0. The 2006 wrestling team took first place at the C.I.F. championship, with five of their wrestlers qualifying for the State championship.
- Notable Alumni: George Lopez.
- Anthony Davis, USC running back from 1972-74.
- Charles White, NFL and USC running back, Heisman trophy winner in 1979.
- Richie Valens, Late 1950's Pop Icon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is San Fernando Senior High School's ranking?
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
What is the graduation rate of San Fernando Senior High School?
How many students attend San Fernando Senior High School?
What is the racial composition of the student body?
What is the student:teacher ratio of San Fernando Senior High School?
What grades does San Fernando Senior High School offer ?
What school district is San Fernando Senior High School part of?
View the San Fernando Senior High School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
Review San Fernando Senior High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities