Southampton Middle School
- Southampton Middle School's student population of 607 students has declined by 7% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 42 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||607 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Southampton Middle School is ranked within the top 50% of all 1,791 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has decreased from 16:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#746 out of 1791 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient) (16-17)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Southampton County School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Courtland Southampton High School Grades: 9-12 | 837 students
23350 Southampton Pkwy
Courtland, VA 23837
(757) 653-2751 0.1 9-12 837
- Newsoms Meherrin Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 309 students
28600 Grays Shop Rd.
Newsoms, VA 23874
(757) 654-6461 5.0 PK-5 309
- Capron Capron Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 190 students
18414 Southampton Pky
Capron, VA 23829
(434) 658-4348 5.6 PK-5 190
- Courtland Riverdale Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 542 students
31023 Camp Parkway
Courtland, VA 23837
(757) 562-3007 7.1 PK-5 542
- Franklin Fresh Start Center
23190 Sedley Road
Franklin, VA 23851
(757) 562-2903 7.9 n/a n/a
This school is not a good school it is falling apart teachers have no respect for anyone. Some of my former teachers gave answers to kids so the teachers grades look good. Students get in fights and no one cares. The school is full of mold and never gets cleaned. In a lot of classes there is no structure. If you are smart, they use your grades to make them look better I used to go here, and I did not enjoy the experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Elli
I heard there were problems at SMS....but the staff has really impressed me. They work hard to resolve issues.
- Posted by Parent - jacki
I think that this school is very proper and it is better than Franklin Middle School.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - gagag
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.