Sunset Elementary School
Sunset Elementary School serves 396 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Sunset Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 86% (which is higher than the California state average of 40%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 79% (which is higher than the California state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 25:1 is higher than the California state level of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 79% of the student body (majority Asian), which is higher than the California state average of 78% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 396 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 25:1
- Minority Enrollment: 79%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 5% in CA
- Math Proficiency: 86% (Top 5%)
- Reading Proficiency: 79% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Sunset Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Sunset Elementary School's student population of 396 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 16 teachers has declined by 15% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Sunset Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 9,659 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Sunset Elementary School is 0.63, which is equal to the diversity score at state average of 0.63. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (CA)
Overall Testing Rank
#343 out of 9659 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Review Sunset Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
What does the Country's Most Expensive School Look Like?
Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools win the award for the country’s most expensive campus, clocking in at a price tag of one-half of a billion dollars. Take a walk down the hall to experience the priciest public school in America.
Detroit Schools: District Is Failing Its Students According To Test Scores
We report on dismal math and reading test scores of Detroit public school students and what’s being done to bring scores up to par.
August 05, 2022Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.