York High School
York High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 10%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 20%)
- Reading/Language Arts Proficiency Highest reading/language arts proficiency (Top 20%)
- Graduation Rate Highest graduation rate (Top 5%)
- York High School's student population of 1,115 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 80 teachers has grown by 11% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,115 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- York High School is ranked within the top 10% of all 1,791 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has decreased from 15:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall School Rank||#175 out of 1791 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient) (16-17)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||York County School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Yorktown York River Academy Grades: 9-12 | 67 students
9300 Geo. Washington Mem. Hwy.
Yorktown, VA 23692
(757) 898-0516 0.0 9-12 67
- Yorktown Yorktown Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 662 students
131 Siege Ln
Yorktown, VA 23692
(757) 898-0358 0.2 K-5 662
- Yorktown Grafton Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 902 students
405 Grafton Dr
Yorktown, VA 23692
(757) 898-0525 3.2 6-8 902
I attended York High in 1983 as a senior...I moved there from Tampa ,Fla,..York is a great school and has great teachers..I would have loved to go there all four of my high school years,but i will always cherish my senior year there at York!!! I was a pitcher on the 1983 Baseball team under coach Saunders..1983 was a great class to be in,,and contiue to stay in touch with my classmates!! GO YORK FALCONS... Rob Hampton
- Posted by Student/Alumni - robha
a) great acedemic programs offered including AP classes and the IB program b) music, art, sports, and other activities including volunteer opportunities and a variety of great clubs are always available! c) awards are available for many different things and students are always encouraged to strive for their goals because achieving happiness is just as great. Senior of the Month is one example of the many great awards one can recieve at York High as well as the awards classes can recieve by working together just having fun and showing school spirit during Spirit Week. d) There are a lot of great facilities at York including Bailey Field. There are also tennis courts and a large gym. e) Parents are very involved at York High, coaching sports, vollunteering, helping with fundraisers and helping make the PTA such a success. I'd also like to point out the great teachers and staff that spend their day at York. Friendly smiles and warm welcomes always await students and visitors. Teachers strive to make sure EVERY student gets the attention they need to learn the material and succeed. Their level of patients exceeds all expectation. These teachers put their heart and soul into what they do and hardly consider it a 'job!' York High really is the best of the best and one can't help but to succeed!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - walla
Should sixth graders be placed in elementary or middle school? We explore the pros and cons of the issue.
Learn 8 ways to guide your conversations with children when discussing high-profile acts of violence in schools.
Traditional Christmas carols, such as "Silent Night," may be sounds of the past on public school campuses. Learn about why schools are banning Christmas carols and how some parents are protesting the changes.