Thomasville City School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 3 public schools managed by Thomasville City School District serving 1,271 students in Thomasville, Alabama.
- Minority enrollment is 50% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Alabama state average of 45%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is less than the state average of 18:1.
Thomasville City School District (2020)
- School Location Grades Students
- Thomasville Thomasville Middle School781 Gates Dr
Thomasville, AL 36784
Grades: 5-8 | 363 students
|School District Name||Thomasville City School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||1,271 students|
|# of Teachers||81 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1|
|# of Male Students||646 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||625 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||n/a|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||8 students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||11 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||614 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||637 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||1 students|
|% of Two or more races Students||n/a|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||52|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||71|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||98|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||71|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||96|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||112|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||89|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||90|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||97|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||87|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||85|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||100|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||106|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||117|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Thomasville City School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 136 school districts in Alabama (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 90-94% has increased from 85-89% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AL)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $9,081 in this school district is less than the state average of $10,435. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $9,210 is less than the state average of $10,558. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AL)|
|Total Revenue||$14 MM||$30 MM|
|Spending||$14 MM||$30 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$9,081||$10,435|
|Spending / Student||$9,210||$10,558|
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of public school vouchers as they pertain to the education of students with disabilities.
As of 2014, nineteen states still allow corporal punishment – spanking and paddling the most common choices – in their public schools. However, some argue that not only are these punishments physically harmful, they also are disproportionately administered to students of color. As a result, House democrats have taken up the issue in a new bill that would ban all forms of corporal punishment nationwide.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.