Alan Shepard Elementary School
Alan Shepard Elementary School serves 417 students in grades Prekindergarten-6.
Alan Shepard Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Iowa for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 89% (which is higher than the Iowa state average of 69%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 85% (which is higher than the Iowa state average of 68%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is equal to the Iowa state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 4% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Iowa state average of 24% (majority Hispanic).
Alan Shepard Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Iowa for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Alan Shepard Elementary School's student population of 417 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 29 teachers has grown by 7% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Alan Shepard Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,227 schools in Iowa (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Alan Shepard Elementary School is 0.08, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.41. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (IA)
Overall Testing Rank
#54 out of 1227 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
National School Lunch Program
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, IA Dept. of Education
Review Alan Shepard Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
What are the Benefits of Public School Over Homeschooling?
Choosing the right school for your child can be difficult, but homeschooling may not be the better option. Keep reading to learn more.
Tips for Transferring Your Student from Private to Public School
Private schools have their benefits and drawbacks, but so do public schools. If you're thinking about making the switch to public school, keep reading to receive some helpful tips.
Behavioral Intervention Plans
Children are going to act out. That is a fact of life. But when does a minor behavioral problem turn into a major issue? We explore behavior intervention plans and how they might be able to help your child curb problem behaviors in school and at home.