Austin High School serves 1,037 students in grades 10-12.
Austin High School placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in Alabama for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 50%, and reading proficiency is bottom 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 20% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 24%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 24% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 46%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the Alabama state level of 18:1.
Minority enrollment is 65% of the student body (majority Black), which is higher than the Alabama state average of 47% (majority Black).
- Grades: 10-12
- Enrollment: 1,037 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 16:1
- Minority Enrollment: 65%
- Graduation Rate: 94% (Top 30% in AL)
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50%
- Math Proficiency: 20% (Top 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 24% (Btm 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
Austin High School's student population of 1,037 students has declined by 28% over five school years.
The teacher population of 65 teachers has declined by 26% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Austin High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,276 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Austin High School is 0.70, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.62. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (AL)
Overall Testing Rank
#793 out of 1276 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
- Austin High School, located in Decatur, Alabama under the Decatur City Schools is one of the three high schools in the city. The other two are Decatur High School and Horizon High School. Austin has programs which include band, JROTC, athletic teams, and other extracurricular activities. In May 2006, Austin High School was certified as an International Baccalaureate (IB) school.
- Only seven schools in Alabama offer the IB diploma program. Austin High School and Decatur High School are the only schools to offer the program north of Birmingham, Alabama.
- In 2004, Austin High School was ranked the 40th best high school in Alabama.
- Austin High School is the only school in Alabama to receive the Alabama Attorney General's Safe Schools Initiative Award for three consecutive years.
- Austin High football and soccer teams both play at the 9,000 seat Ogle Stadium on the southern end of the Decatur High School campus.
- Fine Arts: Austin High School continues to bring recognition to the City of Decatur. Austin has an outstanding history at the Alabama Bandmaster's Association Competition, setting records with Superior Ratings.
- Austin continues a string of 43 superior ratings, the longest in the state.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Austin High School's ranking?
Austin High School is ranked #793 out of 1,276 schools, which ranks it among the bottom 50% of public schools in Alabama.
What schools are Austin High School often compared to?
Austin High Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Decatur High School by visitors of our site.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
20% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 24% AL state average), while 24% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 46% AL state average).
What is the graduation rate of Austin High School?
The graduation rate of Austin High School is 94%, which is higher than the Alabama state average of 89%.
How many students attend Austin High School?
1,037 students attend Austin High School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
35% of Austin High School students are White, 32% of students are Black, 29% of students are Hispanic, 3% of students are Two or more races, and 1% of students are Asian.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Austin High School?
Austin High School has a student ration of 16:1, which is lower than the Alabama state average of 18:1.
What grades does Austin High School offer ?
Austin High School offers enrollment in grades 10-12
What school district is Austin High School part of?
Austin High School is part of Decatur City School District.
Review Austin High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
The Link between Music and a Child’s Math Abilities
Learn about the influence of music on a child’s cognitive mathematical abilities.
August 04, 2023Preparing for a Successful 'Back to School'
A one-stop guide for parents navigating the 'back to school' season, providing practical and effective strategies tailored to every grade level - from pre-K to high school.
July 25, 2023The Evolving Role of Interim Assessments
Explore the often-overlooked tool in K-12 education - interim assessments. Understand what they are, their importance, and how they can enhance your child's learning experience. Dive into real-world case studies and find out how technology is changing the game. This informative, parent-friendly article aims to shed light on the value of these assessments in today's educational landscape.