Decatur High School
Decatur High School serves 1,036 students in grades 9-12.
Decatur High School placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in Alabama for overall test scores (math proficiency is bottom 50%, and reading proficiency is bottom 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 41% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 34% (which is lower than the Alabama state average of 45%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the Alabama state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 57% of the student body (majority Black), which is higher than the Alabama state average of 45% (majority Black).
Decatur High School's student population of 1,036 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 65 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Decatur High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,263 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Decatur High School is 0.68, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (AL)
Overall Testing Rank
#838 out of 1263 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
National School Lunch Program
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, AL Dept. of Education
- Decatur High School, located in Decatur, Alabama under the Decatur City Schools, across Prospect Dr. from Delano Park, is ranked as one of the top academic schools in the state, as well as the nation, with strong Advanced Placement programs and high ACT & SAT test scores that exceed both State and National averages.
- Decatur High, along with western Decatur's Austin High School, are the only International Baccalaureate schools north of Birmingham, Alabama.
- Athletics: Decatur High is well represented each year in the State Playoffs, and has won many state championships in Basketball, Football, Golf, and Cross Country. Decatur's athletic teams consistently compete with those of schools two, three, and four times its own size, each year ranking among the top teams in the state. Decatur High's football, and soccer programs play at the 8,000 seat Ogle Stadium on the southern end of the campus.
- Decatur's football program continues to dominate Northern Alabama's top football teams, each year defeating even the largest high school in the state, Bob Jones High School.
- Decatur has defeated cross-town rival Austin High School, a school twice the size of DHS, many times, with the leading number of wins in the rivalry.
- Due to the AHSAA Class Re-Alignments, Decatur has been moved to class 5A. The drop in class is not due to a shrinking student population, or due to a drop in athletic ability like a large portion of people believe; in reality Decatur High is continuing to grow in student population, and because of the new rules of the AHSAA Class Alignments, the Decatur High Developmental Program was not counted as part of the regular student population.
- Fine arts: The Decatur High School's Chorus and Concert Bands have consistently received superior ratings in both District and State competitions.
- Decatur High has the longest string of District Competition Superior Ratings in Alabama, dating back to the competition's formation in 1947.
- Decatur High also continues to lead in number of Alabama Bandmasters State Competition Superior Ratings at 57, more than any other high school in state history.
- The graduating class of 2006 was awarded more than 5 million dollars in scholarships out of the 8 million dollars offered to students in the Decatur City Schools.
- 99% of the school's seniors passed the Alabama High School Graduation Exam in 2005.
- Decatur high has a graduation rate of 98%.
Review Decatur High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Life Beyond High School: The Innovative Frontier
Exploring post graduation options for high school students.
Back to School: Getting Up to Date with Required Vaccinations
Stay up to date on the current requirements for vaccinations for school-age children today, as well as some of the problems schools face when parents do not properly immunize their kids.
Utah on its Way to Banning Sex-Ed in Schools
The new bill, which has already passed state lawmakers, would ban public schools from teaching about contraception or sexually transmitted diseases. If it is signed into law by the governor, it will be the most conservative law in the country regarding sex education in schools.