Banneker Elementary School
Banneker Elementary School serves 160 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Banneker Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 90-94% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 82%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 80-84% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 78%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 18:1 is higher than the Virginia state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 33% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Virginia state average of 51% (majority Black and Hispanic).
Banneker Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
Banneker Elementary School's student population of 160 students has grown by 13% over five school years.
The teacher population of 9 teachers has grown by 12% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Banneker Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,800 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Banneker Elementary School is 0.49, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (VA)
Overall Testing Rank
#392 out of 1800 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, VA Dept. of Education
This school is a throwback to education in the sweet older days. Wonderful caring staff with personal attention and low class counts. Common sense rules along with high standards education. I highly recommend this school.
Review Banneker Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
All-Girl Public High Schools: Improving Confidence and College Success
While all-girl public high schools are not prevalent, their advantages are significant. Learn about the academic and social benefits of an all-girls education.
4 Ways Parents Can Turn a Campus into a Top Public School
Every campus has the potential to become a top public school. Learn about what you can do as a parent to improve your child's public school.
Segregation: A Modern Problem for Public Schools in the South
Learn about the unfortunate cases of segregation that are arising in public schools in the South, as well as the legal rulings forcing desegregation once again.