Barnard Elementary School
Barnard Elementary School serves 642 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Barnard Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in District Of Columbia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 46% (which is higher than the District Of Columbia state average of 32%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 38% (which is equal to the District Of Columbia state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is lower than the District Of Columbia state level of 13:1.
Minority enrollment is 96% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is higher than the District Of Columbia state average of 89% (majority Black).
Barnard Elementary School's student population of 642 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 54 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Barnard Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 212 schools in District Of Columbia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Barnard Elementary School is 0.55, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.50. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (DC)
Overall Testing Rank
#54 out of 212 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (11-12)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, DC Dept. of Education
Review Barnard Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Common Behavioral Issues in School-Age Children and How Alternative Schools Can Help
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
Signs of Sex Abuse at School: What Parents Should Know
Nearly 10% of students will encounter sexual misconduct at school. Make sure you know how to protect your child and recognize the signs of potential sex abuse.
Denver Public Schools Buck Trend, Plug School-to-Prison Pipeline
In a district where progressive discipline policies are already the norm, Denver Public Schools seek to limit student exposure to the criminal justice system, rather than criminalize student behavior.