Big Island Elementary School
Big Island Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 5%)
- Big Island Elementary School's student population of 137 students has declined by 5% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 10 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||137 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Big Island Elementary School is ranked within the top 50% of all 1,791 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has decreased from 15:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#757 out of 1791 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient) (16-17)||75-79%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||80-84%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Bedford County School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Natural Bridge Station Natural Bridge Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 277 students
42 Natural Bridge School Rd.
Natural Bridge Station, VA 24579
(540) 291-2292 7.6 PK-5 277
- Lynchburg Boonsboro Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 303 students
1234 Eagle Circle
Lynchburg, VA 24503
(434) 384-2881 10.1 K-5 303
- Goode Otter River Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 224 students
1044 Otter River Dr
Goode, VA 24556
(540) 586-9210 11.5 PK-5 224
- Madison Heights Elon Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 315 students
147 Younger Dr
Madison Heights, VA 24572
(434) 528-6496 12.2 PK-5 315
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.