Muir (John) Elementary School
Muir (John) Elementary School serves 241 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Muir (John) Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 55-59% (which is higher than the California state average of 40%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 55-59% (which is higher than the California state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the California state level of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 93% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is higher than the California state average of 78% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 241 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 16:1
- Minority Enrollment: 93%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in CA
- Math Proficiency: 55-59% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 55-59% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Muir (John) Elementary School's student population of 241 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 15 teachers has grown by 25% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Muir (John) Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 9,659 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Muir (John) Elementary School is 0.68, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.63. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (CA)
Overall Testing Rank
#2282 out of 9659 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (19-20)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Review Muir (John) Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
What does the Country's Most Expensive School Look Like?
Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools win the award for the country’s most expensive campus, clocking in at a price tag of one-half of a billion dollars. Take a walk down the hall to experience the priciest public school in America.
Detroit Schools: District Is Failing Its Students According To Test Scores
We report on dismal math and reading test scores of Detroit public school students and what’s being done to bring scores up to par.
August 05, 2022Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.