Palisades Charter High School
Palisades Charter High School places among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 1%)
- Palisades Charter High School's student population of 2,982 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 129 teachers has grown by 6% over five school years.
|School Type||Charter School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||2,982 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||129 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Palisades Charter High School's student:teacher ratio of 23:1 has decreased from 24:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Overall School Rank||#1593 out of 9,595 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1||23:1|
|Two or more races||n/a|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Los Angeles Unified School District|
- Palisades Charter High School (usually abbreviated as "Pali High," "PaliHi," or uncommonly as "PCHS" / "PHS" ) is a secondary school in Los Angeles, California, United States. The public high school serves the neighborhoods of Pacific Palisades and Kenter Canyon and portions of Brentwood. Residents in Topanga, an unincorporated section of Los Angeles County, may attend Palisades or Taft High School.
- The school serves grades 9 through 12. Formerly directly administered by the Los Angeles Unified School District school, with the land still owned by the district, the school is now an independent charter school, no longer administered by LAUSD. Its current charter status expires on June 27, 2010.
- In 2005, "Pali" was recognized as a California Distinguished School.
- Disregarding a majority vote of the stakeholders, which came down 1740-1010 against, the board of directors voted to change the starting date of school for the 2007-2008 school year, which upset the student body, many of whom took action in executing a walkout.
- The school is located at 15777 Bowdoin Street, Pacific Palisades, California, 90272.
- Paul Revere Charter Middle School feeds into Palisades.
- History: The school was founded in 1958. The Class of 2006 was the 42nd graduating class.
- Campus: The campus is bounded by Temescal Canyon Road to the east, Sunset Boulevard to the north, El Medio Street to the west, and Temescal Canyon Continuation School to the south. It is bisected by Bowdoin Street, which runs between the school's football field and the academic center of the school.
- Notable alumni: "Pali" is the alma mater of many football stars including Jay Schroeder of the Los Angeles Raiders, Kiki Vandeweghe General Manager and NBA Forward for the Denver Nuggets (he started as Center graduating in 1976) record holding Cal receiver Geoff McArthur, and former UCLA quarterback/national high school record holder, David Koral.
- Other famous people that attended Pali include the following: Jeff Madsen - poker player, youngest winner of a wsop bracelet at 21 years 1 month and 9 days; Jeff Bridges - actor; Ted Stryker - KROQ DJ; Christie Brinkley - model; Peter DeLuise - actor; Susanna Hoffs - member of the Bangles; Jennifer Jason Leigh - actor and director; Steve Kerr - Former NBA player; Michael Medved - film critic and commentator; Penelope Ann Miller - actor; Daniel S. Loeb - hedge fund manager; Katey Sagal - actor; David Wallechinsky - writer; Forest Whitaker - actor, director and producer; William James Adams Jr (will.i.am) - member of black eyed peas; Alex Greenwald - actor and musician; Matthew Berry - writer; J.J. Abrams - television show creator.
- Many movies have been filmed at Palisades, including Carrie (1976),Crazy/Beautiful (2001), Havoc (2005), Old School, The Glass House, and Freaky Friday (2003).
- This school was the focus of a false email chain letter started around 2002. This was reported on several web sites. Few examples are truthorfiction.com, snopes.com, breakthechain.org.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pacific Palisades Greenwood Elementary School Grades: 9-12 | 55 students
777 Temescal Canyon Rd.
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
(310)454-0315 0.1 9-12 55
- Pacific Palisades Palisades Charter Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 487 students
800 Via De La Paz
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
(310)454-3700 0.3 K-5 487
- Santa Monica Canyon Charter Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 388 students
421 Entrada Dr.
Santa Monica, CA 90402
(310)454-7510 1.5 K-5 388
- Santa Monica Roosevelt Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 794 students
801 Montana Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90403
(310)395-0941 2.2 K-5 794
Learn about the pros and cons surrounding year-round schools through studies arguing that students perform better in school without a summer break.
Your child’s education is not just his teacher’s responsibility. As a parent, you have the ability to supplement your child’s education at home and to help him succeed in school. Read on to learn some tips to help your child make the most of his education in 2020.
Childhood experiences shape who we become as adults, for good and bad. The new Surgeon General of California is pushing for childhood trauma screening in students in the hopes of resolving some of the issues that might later lead to the development of physical and mental health problems.