- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 1,669 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 20:1
- Minority Enrollment: 81%
- Graduation Rate: 88% (Top 50% in CA)
- Math Proficiency: 50%
- Reading Proficiency: 68%
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
- San Mateo High School is an American public high school in San Mateo, California serving grades 9-12 as part of the San Mateo Union High School District.
- History: San Mateo High School has been recognized throughout its history for its academic achievement and the role it plays in the local community. In 1991, it was honored as a National Blue Ribbon School by the United States Department of Education. In 2005, the California Business for Education Excellence (CBEE) organization bestowed a "Gold Standard Award for Academic Excellence" upon San Mateo High School.
- Legend has it that the bearcat mascot was the result of a disagreement about whether architectural adornments at the front entrance of the original building were bears or cats. During a 50-year celebration in 1977, the architect was asked to offer a definitive answer. His response: "They're owls."
- The school's traditional arch-rival is Burlingame High School.
- Campus: San Mateo High School opened in 1902 at a cottage on Ellsworth Street in San Mateo. The school moved twice in 1903 and to Baldwin Avenue in 1911 before moving to its present location in 1927. The original brick-dominated complex was sometimes referred to as "the high school that looks like a university."
- In 2001, the school undertook to demolish and entirely replace the original building in an effort to meet modern earthquake safety requirements. The new building was modeled after Hampton Court Palace in England. Dedicated in August 2005, the new building strongly echoes the design and materials of the original in part due to strong public outcry about the decision to demolish the structure. On February 10, 2006 the campus Quad was dedicated to alumnus Merv Griffin, who donated $250,000 to the school ($100,000 of which went to the performing arts department).
- Clubs and organizations 2006-2007:
- A: Awareness of Cancer for Teens (ACTS), AniManga, Asian, Art Club.
- B: Band, Biotech, Black Student Union (BSU), BBQ.
- C: Chess, Chinese Chess, Chinese, Christian.
- D: DDR Freaks, Dance Team,Drama, Dumbledore's Army.
- E: Eat, Ecology, Education Knowledge and Learning.
- F: Filipino, French, Friday Night Live.
- G: Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), Greek, Guitar Hero.
- H: Hats for the Homeless.
- I: Improv, Indian, Interact, Irish J: Jew Crew, Junior State of America (JSA).
- M: Math Team, Majors, Meaningful Meals, Melee Studies Society, Mock Trial.
- N: No Limit Steppers.
- O: Origami.
- P: Persian, Ping Pong, Polynesian.
- Q: Quiz Kids.
- R: Raza Unida, Robotics.
- S: Star Bridge, Scrabble, Socially Active Youth.
- T: Th(ink).
- U: Ultimate Frisbee.
- Fall Sports: Cross Country, Football, Golf, Spirit Squad, Tennis, Volleyball, Water Polo.
- Winter Sports: Basketball, Soccer, Wrestling.
- Spring Sports: Badminton, Baseball, Golf, Gymnastics, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field.
- Notable alumni: Walter Afanasieff. Grammy winning music composer and producer.
- Barry Bostwick. Actor and singer, notably in Spin City.
- Merv Griffin, 1942. Entertainment producer and former talk show host.
- Dennis Haysbert, 1972. Actor of film and television best known for 24.
- Kris Kristofferson. Country and Western singer, actor.
- Lee Mendelson. Five-time Emmy winning producer of Peanuts.
- Arron Oberholser. Professional Golfer.
- Alicia Silverstone. Actress in films such as Clueless.
- Peter Thiel, 1985. Co-founder PayPal.
- Debi Thomas. Bronze medalist in figure skating at the 1988 Winter Olympics.
- Cal Tjader, 1943. Latin Jazz musician.
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are San Mateo High School often compared to?
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
What is the graduation rate of San Mateo High School?
How many students attend San Mateo High School?
What is the racial composition of the student body?
What is the student:teacher ratio of San Mateo High School?
What grades does San Mateo High School offer ?
What school district is San Mateo High School part of?
View the San Mateo High School yearly calendar below.
Review San Mateo High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities