Sunset Middle School serves 613 students in grades 6-8.
Sunset Middle School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Tennessee for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 64% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 28%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 57% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 30%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 15:1 is equal to the Tennessee state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 30% of the student body (majority Asian and Black), which is lower than the Tennessee state average of 40% (majority Black).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: 6-8
- Enrollment: 613 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 15:1
- Minority Enrollment: 30%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 5% in TN
- Math Proficiency: 64% (Top 5%)
- Reading Proficiency: 57% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), TN Dept. of Education
Sunset Middle School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Tennessee for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Sunset Middle School's student population of 613 students has grown by 42% over five school years.
The teacher population of 41 teachers has grown by 17% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Sunset Middle School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,721 schools in Tennessee (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Sunset Middle School is 0.49, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.58. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (TN)
Overall Testing Rank
#64 out of 1721 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), TN Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Sunset Middle School's ranking?
Sunset Middle School is ranked #64 out of 1,721 schools, which ranks it among the top 5% of public schools in Tennessee.
What schools are Sunset Middle School often compared to?
Sunset Middle Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Woodland Middle School by visitors of our site.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
64% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 28% TN state average), while 57% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 30% TN state average).
How many students attend Sunset Middle School?
613 students attend Sunset Middle School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
70% of Sunset Middle School students are White, 12% of students are Asian, 7% of students are Black, 6% of students are Two or more races, and 5% of students are Hispanic.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Sunset Middle School?
Sunset Middle School has a student ration of 15:1, which is equal to the Tennessee state average of 15:1.
What grades does Sunset Middle School offer ?
Sunset Middle School offers enrollment in grades 6-8
What school district is Sunset Middle School part of?
Sunset Middle School is part of Williamson County School District.
The staff is great. Highly suggest sending your kid here.
Review Sunset Middle School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
A Story of Overcoming Common Reading Difficulties
Follow the story of Sarah, a fictional character who overcame common reading difficulties with the help of the three cueing system. This blog post explores the advantages and disadvantages of the three cueing system and provides strategies for implementing it effectively.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
Standardized tests have a long history in American K-12 education. We examine what standardized tests evaluate and more.