- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 394 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 21:1
- Minority Enrollment: 32%
- Graduation Rate: 90-94% (Top 30% in AL)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 50%
- Math Proficiency: 30-34% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 40-44% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
- T. R. Miller High School is a public school in Brewton, Alabama. The school shares its name with a timber mogul that financially contributed to the construction of the school building. The school mascot is the T.R. Miller Tiger.
- Mission statement: "The mission statement of T.R. Miller High School is to create an environment conductive to providing a quality education for all students that properly prepares them to be successful in their future endeavors. In doing so, we recognize the importance of parent and community involvement, strong faculty and administrative personnel, and an atmosphere that supports cultural diversity and continuous improvement."
- History: The current school building, located off Douglas Ave. in the north section of town, was opened in 1962 after moving from the current home of Brewton Elementary school located less than a mile south. The school consisted of three wings, a lunch room, a gym, and an office area. The school was expanded to include a fourth wing, dedicated to science classes, in 1994. Recent additions include an auditorium (built in 1998), a field house for the football program (completed in 2001), and a new gym (completed in 2002).
- Clubs and Activities: T.R. Miller's clubs and activities include: Student Council; National Honor Society; Fellowship of Christian Athletes; T.R. Miller Yearbook - The Tiger Roar; Cheerleading; Tiger Band; FCCLA; Pep Club; Athletics; Spanish Club; Math Team; Kaleidoscope; Science Club; Energy and Environmental Bowl; Scholar's Bowl; Science Olympiad.
- Sports: T.R. Miller High School has had success in several athletic programs, especially since the mid-1980s. The men's basketball team brought home a mythical state championship in 1952, which is to date the only championship the boys basketball program has won. The athletic program most closely identified with the school is the football team. The Tigers currently have six state championships (1969, 1984, 1991, 1994, 2000, and 2002), and have advanced to at least the semi-finals of the playoffs 15 times in the last 22 seasons. The Tiger track program has won numerous state championships over the last 20 years, and the Lady Tiger basketball team brought home state titles in 1995, 1996, and 2002.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tr Miller High School's ranking?
What schools are Tr Miller High School often compared to?
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
What is the graduation rate of Tr Miller High School?
How many students attend Tr Miller High School?
What is the racial composition of the student body?
What is the student:teacher ratio of Tr Miller High School?
What grades does Tr Miller High School offer ?
What school district is Tr Miller High School part of?
Review Tr Miller High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities