Surry County School District
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 3 public schools managed by Surry County School District serving 837 students in Dendron, Virginia.
- Minority enrollment is 65% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Virginia state average of 50%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is less than the state average of 15:1.
Surry County School District (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Dendron Luther P. Jackson Middle School4255 New Design Rd
Dendron, VA 23839
Grades: 5-8 | 229 students
- Dendron Surry County High School1675 Hollybush Rd
Dendron, VA 23839
Grades: 9-12 | 274 students
- Dendron Surry Elementary School1600 Hollybush Rd
Dendron, VA 23839
Grades: PK-4 | 334 students
|School District Name||Surry County School District|
|# of Schools||3|
|# of Students||837|
|# of Teachers||89|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9|
|# of Male Students||403|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||434|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||3|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||1|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||13|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||498|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||292|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||3|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||27|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||46|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||54|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||56|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||59|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||58|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||61|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||60|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||59|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||54|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||56|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||76|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||72|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||67|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||59|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Surry County School District, which is ranked within the top 50% of all 134 school districts in Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 90-94% has increased from 85-89% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (VA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $18,734 is higher than the state average of $11,628. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $18,634 is higher than the state average of $11,792. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||This State (VA)|
|Total Revenue||$17 MM||$41 MM|
|Spending||$17 MM||$42 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$18,734||$11,628|
|Spending / Student||$18,634||$11,792|
We examine the issue of Internet access in public schools, particularly in light of recent allegations from a father that his daughter was allowed to visit online dating websites from her school during class hours.
Special education teachers face a unique set of challenges, and so do the parents of special needs students. Keep reading to learn some practical tips for making your life as a special needs teacher or parent easier.
Taking the SAT or ACT is a major source of stress for high school students. Keep reading to learn how to choose the right test and how to prepare for it.