West Point Elementary School
West Point Elementary School serves 355 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
West Point Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is ≥95% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 82%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 90-94% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 78%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is lower than the Virginia state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 32% of the student body (majority Black), which is lower than the Virginia state average of 51% (majority Black).
West Point Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
West Point Elementary School's student population of 355 students has grown by 10% over five school years.
The teacher population of 28 teachers has grown by 16% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
West Point Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,800 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of West Point Elementary School is 0.51, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (VA)
Overall Testing Rank
#51 out of 1800 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, VA Dept. of Education
Majority of the staff are all very easy to communicate with. A lot of parent involvement. When my child needed extra help it was readily available and he is thriving.
Review West Point Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Going Green: Should Public Schools Teach Green Lessons?
The eco-friendly movement has reached our public schools and charter schools. Learn about how schools are incorporating green education into their curriculum and entire charters.
Abstinence-Only Education: Does it Work?
In light of President Obama’s recent backing of abstinence-only education, we take a look at the numbers to see if this type of sex ed teaching really leads to lower pregnancy and STD rates.
August 02, 2021Post-Pandemic Tips for Public School Parents and Students
The 2020-21 school year was unlike any other and hopefully not one we’ll repeat anytime soon. The COVID-19 pandemic changed the face of America’s public education system and we’re still seeing the effects. In this article, we’ll explore the impact of the pandemic on America’s public schools, see how they responded, and talk about some tips for returning to in-person education this fall.