Demopolis City School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 4 public schools managed by Demopolis City School District serving 2,296 students in Demopolis, Alabama.
- Minority enrollment is 56% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Alabama state average of 45%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is less than the state average of 18:1.
Demopolis City School District (2020)
- School Location Grades Students
- Demopolis Demopolis High School701 Hwy 80 W
Demopolis, AL 36732
Grades: 9-12 | 722 students
- Demopolis Us Jones Elementary School715 E Jackson St
Demopolis, AL 36732
Grades: 3-5 | 574 students
- Demopolis Westside Elementary School1720 Mauvilla Drive
Demopolis, AL 36732
Grades: PK-2 | 512 students
|School District Name||Demopolis City School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||2,296 students|
|# of Teachers||132 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1|
|# of Male Students||1,142 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||1,154 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||4 students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||26 students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||91 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||1,153 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||1,003 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||2 students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||17 students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||35|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||139|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||164|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||174|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||183|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||199|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||192|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||145|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||189|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||154|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||199|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||197|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||186|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||140|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Demopolis City School District, which is ranked within the top 50% of all 136 school districts in Alabama (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 85-89% has decreased from 88% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AL)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $8,932 in this school district is less than the state average of $10,435. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $9,092 is less than the state average of $10,558. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AL)|
|Total Revenue||$21 MM||$30 MM|
|Spending||$21 MM||$30 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$8,932||$10,435|
|Spending / Student||$9,092||$10,558|
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of public school vouchers as they pertain to the education of students with disabilities.
As of 2014, nineteen states still allow corporal punishment – spanking and paddling the most common choices – in their public schools. However, some argue that not only are these punishments physically harmful, they also are disproportionately administered to students of color. As a result, House democrats have taken up the issue in a new bill that would ban all forms of corporal punishment nationwide.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.