Alonso High School
Alonso High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Florida for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 5%)
- Alonso High School's student population of 2,580 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 150 teachers has grown by 10% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||2,580 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||150 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Alonso High School's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has decreased from 19:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (FL)|
|Overall School Rank||#2195 out of 3,601 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||16:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Hillsborough School District|
- Braulio Alonso High School is a public high school located in Hillsborough County, Florida. Dr. Sandy Bunkin principal of five years retired at the end of the 2005-2006 school year. Mr.Louie Diaz, the new principal, comes from Jefferson High School.By The way George Bryan Vesga Attended Davidsen Middle School and He hates his new school Ocoee High Schoool and wants to go to the best school in the world Alonso High School.
- Alonso High is named after Braulio Alonso, a grandson of Spanish immigrants, who was born in Ybor City in Tampa, Florida. He was the president of the Hillsborough Education Association from 1951 to 1956 and the president of the Florida Education Association in 1957. He served on the board of directors in the National Education Association from 1958 to 1964, and was elected as its president in 1966.
- Alonso High School's mascot is the Raven.
- Mission: Braulio Alonso High School is a community where Excellence is the goal, Diversity is Valued, Integrity is Expected and School Pride is the result.
- Extracurricular: HOSA (Health Occupation Students Of America); JROTC(Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) (Alonso JROTC webpage); FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America); FCCLA; NHS (National Honor Society); BETA; Mu Alpha Theta (Math Team); GSA (Gay Straight Alliance); SWAT (Students Working Against Tobacco); CARS (Cops Against Racing on Streets); FFA (Future Farmers of America); Anime Club; Guitar Club.
- Sports: Alonso High School currently offers the following sports: Football (Varsity, JV, and flag); District Champs 2006; Soccer (Boys and Girls); Basketball (Varsity and JV, Boys and Girls); Wrestling (Varsity and JV); Tennis (Boys and Girls); Swimming (Boys and Girls); Golf (Boys and Girls); Volleyball (Varsity and JV).
- JROTC Activities: Raider Team - The team is pure physical performance and endurance. At competitions, some of the events include the following: running, pushups, situps, ropebridge, litter carry, and other such events. The team practices every Tuesday and Thursday. In addition to the above events, the Raider team also trains in map reading and orienteering. The members of this team have to maintain high levels of physical fitness and dedication to participate in this demanding team. The team is very successful and has over 90 trophies in their trophy case in the 4 years that the school has been open. The Raiders were titled state champions in 2005 and runner-up in 2006.
- Drill Team - Drill is basically marching and parade/ceremony side of JROTC. You are learning the basics, formation, basic marching, faces, columns, flanks, along with the rest of the commands. Drill Team doesn’t just teach you drill, it perfects it. You will work with the other members of the Drill Team to compete in squads or platoons in armed drill (with drill rifles), unarmed, or exhibition competitions. The Drill Team also does exhibition, which is the rifle throwing and flipping, ect. The Drill Team performs at the Homecoming game with a Saber (the exhibition swords) team, and also takes part in the Military Ball Ceremonies.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Tampa Davis Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 819 students
10907 Memorial Hwy
Tampa, FL 33615
(813)854-6010 0.5 PK-5 819
- Tampa Hillsborough Academy Of Math And Science Grades: K-8 | 810 students
9659 W Waters Ave
Tampa, FL 33635
(813)793-6085 0.7 K-8 810
- Tampa Lowry Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 999 students
11505 Country Hollow Dr
Tampa, FL 33635
(813)855-8178 1.3 PK-5 999
- Tampa Westchase Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 949 students
9517 W Linebaugh Ave
Tampa, FL 33626
(813)631-4600 1.7 PK-5 949
- Tampa Woodbridge Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 608 students
8301 Woodbridge Blvd
Tampa, FL 33615
(813)871-7460 1.7 PK-5 608
I actually go to the school and I love it. It's a really amazing school. It has a lot of great programs, a lot of diversity in the students, and the teachers are great. A+ school !
- Posted by Student/Alumni - sayli
This is a "D" school. I would strongly recommend you pursue all other options before commitiing your child to this school. Teachers do not routinely respond to e-mail requests, grades are posted long after you have any opportunity to address areas of need. This is a large and impersonal public HS that most kids just want to get in and out of.
- Posted by Parent - ciluf