Barbara Cockrell Elementary School
Barbara Cockrell Elementary School serves 697 students in grades Prekindergarten-4.
Barbara Cockrell Elementary School placed in the top 10% of all schools in Texas for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 75% (which is higher than the Texas state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 64% (which is higher than the Texas state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is higher than the Texas state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 72% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Texas state average of 74% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: Prekindergarten-4
- Enrollment: 697 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 16:1
- Minority Enrollment: 72%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in TX
- Math Proficiency: 75% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 64% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), TX Dept. of Education
Barbara Cockrell Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Texas for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Barbara Cockrell Elementary School's student population of 697 students has declined by 13% over five school years.
The teacher population of 44 teachers has declined by 13% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Barbara Cockrell Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 8,043 schools in Texas (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Barbara Cockrell Elementary School is 0.66, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.64. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (TX)
Overall Testing Rank
#700 out of 8043 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), TX Dept. of Education
Review Barbara Cockrell Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
What does the Country's Most Expensive School Look Like?
Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools win the award for the country’s most expensive campus, clocking in at a price tag of one-half of a billion dollars. Take a walk down the hall to experience the priciest public school in America.
Detroit Schools: District Is Failing Its Students According To Test Scores
We report on dismal math and reading test scores of Detroit public school students and what’s being done to bring scores up to par.
August 05, 2022Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.