Brooklyn High School Of The Arts
Brooklyn High School Of The Arts places among the top 20% of public schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 10%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 10%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 5%)
- Brooklyn High School Of The Arts's student population of 865 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 54 teachers has grown by 5% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||865 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||54 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Brooklyn High School Of The Arts is ranked within the top 10% of all 4,239 schools in New York (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 16:1 has decreased from 17:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (NY)|
|Overall School Rank||#365 out of 4239 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||90-94%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||≥95%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1||14:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||New York City Geographic District #15 School District|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Dance, Gymnastics, Intramural Sports Only, Softball, Track, Track and Field, Weightlifting|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
ANIME, CHEER LEADING, CHESS, GAY-STRAIGHT ALLIANCE, NEWSPAPER, THE MOTH, THESPIAN
Arts and Music Programs:
ART CLUB, GUITAR, PHOTOGRAPHY
- Brooklyn Arts is a dual-mission high school dedicated to providing aspiring artists and scholars with an academically rigorous pre-college course of study and a comprehensive, four-year pre-conservatory arts program. At Brooklyn Arts, life-long learners use their creativity to enrich their education. By using the abundant resources of our great city, students are constantly being challenged to achieve their highest artistic and academic potential. Brooklyn Arts fosters strong partnerships with parents, families, and the community to holistically develop global citizens who are prepared to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
- Our vision is to provide an exemplary arts and academic educational experience to students who have a passion for the arts, are culturally and socio-economically diverse, and hail from all over New York City. Situated in the cultural heart of Brooklyn, we offer the highest caliber of arts integrated education and the opportunity to access the rich cultural vibrancy of the Brooklyn arts community
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Brooklyn Khalil Gibran International Academy Grades: 9-12 | 261 students
362 Schermerhorn St
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718)237-2502 0.0 9-12 261
- Brooklyn Math And Science Exploratory School Grades: 6-8 | 521 students
345 Dean St
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718)330-9328 0.0 6-8 521
- Brooklyn P.S. 38 Pacific Grades: PK-5 | 542 students
450 Pacific St
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718)330-9305 0.2 PK-5 542
- Brooklyn P.S. 369 Coy L Cox School Grades: K-12 | 642 students
383 State St
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718)852-1701 0.3 K-12 642
BHSA is great! I've been attending for three years and have learned a lot. I really love my classes and teachers. In small classes there is more one on one with teachers and it's really helpful. Also, the arts program is great and many students get a variety of opportunities.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Jacquelyn
Love this school. The jazz band is so vibrant and talented. The school spirit is up there. The culture is amazing. The vibe is to die for
- Posted by Student/Alumni - D`andr
Very good school. I like the teachers. Especially the music teachers
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Somebody
This school has taught me to aim for what I want and to not be afraid to get rid of anyone who stands in my way. This school taught me to fight for success by any means possible.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Maia Chin
11th grader- My 3 years here have been an amazing experience. I have met amazing people and teachers. We all connect through art differently but in a way we are all similar.One of the GREATEST school communities you will ever see because we are more than just students and teachers; we're family.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - syd
This school has a great arts department. It`s very inclusive and most of the teachers are helpful and good at their jobs.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Alex Nelson
This School in my opinin the best School where a Kid that play music can go and spred it's wing.and techers will encourage student to do even better .10/10 I am a current student there and it's an amazing school .
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Andrew Hernandez
This is a great school with opportunities and helps you improve your art strand. The clubs and teachers make classes fun and encourage us to really think.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Audrienne Valentin
I'm a current junior at this school. I genuinely look forward to coming to school every day. I am challenged academically and as a musician. I have taken 4 AP Courses since my Sophomore year and have learned how to play 2 other instruments. Teachers are friendly and the environment is family-like. It's rare to hear about fights or drama, and the fact that we support each other as artists adds to our family-like community. We have a diverse community and I've learned about different cultures more than ever!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - V Calix
I`ve been attending this school for about three years now and I love how we get to expand our horizons than beyond just basic education studies ( science, math, etc). Here we really get to open our eyes to things that are amazing. The plays are phenomenal, are it`s stunning to see how this school can put together such an attention grabbing show, and you get to see so much talent, making you see so many different styles of dance, music, and art, and there are so many opportunities in this school to help you strive in your interests as an artist. I`m proud of my school for the people that make it up, the talent that makes it what it is. It goes to say that BHSA lives up to its name.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Cameran
Brooklyn High School of the Arts provides many opportunities to programs beyond this school showing us ways to pursue a career that you may like.There are also,many clubs for extra curricular activities and prepares juniors and seniors for college readiness.They provide A.P. Classes that are challenging as well.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Junior
Faculty and Staff dedicate time to ensure the well being of every student attending Brooklyn High School of the Arts. The school, being such a diverse community, takes into account and accommodates for many factors such as background, economic stability and mental health. No two students are the same so Brooklyn Arts works to provide students with the most helpful resources at the lowest possible cost. Often times, costly courses and exams are payed for by a generous staff who's only concern is seeing their students rise.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Noelia V.
I`ve been attending Brooklyn Arts for three years and this school has provided me a nice and stable high school experience. I am academically challenged which will help me in my future. Brooklyn Arts provides many interesting afterschool club activities even extra academic help. Everyone in school is like a family and we help each other out including the teachers.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Katherine D.
This school is making me grow as a person and with my craft. Everyone supports everyone's ideas at all time! The school has also grown academically with AP classes to sign up for every year. There are also clubs, events, and sports teams to join so everyone at the school is always busy getting into the spirit.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Christina
I am currently a junior attending Brooklyn High School of the Arts. The community that shapes this school is outstanding.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Jackie
I am currently a student in Brooklyn High School of the Art. As a student, I feel that this school give a lot of activities for their students to have fun. If any students have any ideas or suggestions, they want to make, the principal, assistant principals and Dean's will always welcome everyone with a open hands. The Arts in this school is amazing. Not only the Arts, the education the teachers give is, too. The teachers help students with works, and expand their knowledge to their full potential.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Susan
The arts and academics is what makes this school very cool and well-coordinated.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Fiona
This school is honestly like your best friend. There`s always people to talk with if you need help of any sort. The teachers are lovely and are committed to help you succeed. I`ve been here for three years and it`s one of the most enjoyable experience i`ve ever had.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Lina
This school is great filled with great activitys and the faculty is great as well.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Kymanie Hamilton
I've been attending BHSA for three years now. As an arts school it provides great opportunities, non-academic and academic
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Tisanna Thomas
Apply for Brooklyn high school of the arts ! It`s has great classes such as art, instrumental, theatre, dance and vocal to help you master what ever your craft is and academic classes with great teachers that push you beyond your limits.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Justin Fernandez
This is a fantastic school with the best students in the world! The graduation rate is actually much higher than listed here (93%)
- Posted by Administrator - Frank proudfoot
Outstanding community. So warm and welcoming. It's like a family. Really prepares students for college.
- Posted by Parent - Francis
Im in 7th grade going to 8th next year, and The whole grade just received those high school books, and when I saw this school, I immediately looked it up on the internet, and this is definatly the one I want to to go to after 8th grade. And the audition is to have 8-10 original art pieces? Ppshh. I AM art.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Jorda