Discovery High School
Top Placements (North Carolina)
Discovery High School is Listed among the top public schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 5%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 10%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 5%)
- Discovery High School's student population of 247 students has grown by 128% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 14 teachers has grown by 100% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||247 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Discovery High School is ranked within the top 5% of all 2538 schools in North Carolina (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 18:1 has increased from 16:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (NC)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||70-79%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||80-89%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1||16:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Discovery High School is Newton Conover City s School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 272 school districts in North Carolina (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Newton Conover City s School District's student population of 3,159 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The district's graduation rate of 94% has increased from 83% over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $9,377 is higher than the state average of $8,969. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $9,523 is higher than the state average of $8,766. The district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|School District Name||Newton Conover City s School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||3,159||870|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Graduation Rate|
|District Total Revenue||$28 MM||$8 MM|
|District Spending||$29 MM||$8 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$9,377||$8,969|
|District Spending / Student||$9,523||$8,766|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Newton Newton-conover High School Grades: 9-12 | 799 students
338 W 15th Street
Newton, NC 28658
(828)465-0920 0.0 9-12 799
- Newton North Newton Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 488 students
221 West 26th St
Newton, NC 28658
(828)464-2631 0.3 K-5 488
- Newton South Newton Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 367 students
306 West I Street
Newton, NC 28658
(828)464-4061 0.8 K-5 367
Students with disabilities may require the assistance of a service dog, but how might the presence of a dog in the classroom affect other students? Could it be too distracting?
Childhood obesity rates continue to climb. While many public schools have implemented policies and programs to combat the problem, there is always more to be done. Keep reading to learn what schools are doing to prevent obesity and how you can help.
Food allergies are no laughing matter and it doesn't take long for them to become dangerous. Keep reading to learn how to keep your child safe at school if he has a food allergy.