Felix Varela Senior High School
- The student population of 3021 students has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- The teacher population of 122 teachers has declined by 8% over five years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Total Students||3,021 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||122 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- The student:teacher ratio of 25:1 has increased from 24:1 over five years.
- The school's diversity scoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body. of 0.25 is less than the state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- Dade School District's student population of 356,762 students has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- The district's graduation rate of 68% has increased from 54% over five years.
- The revenue/student of $9,718 in this district is less than the state average of $11,888. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four years.
- The district's spending/student of $10,356 is less than the state average of $12,571. The district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four years.
|School District Name||Dade School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||356,762||10,184|
|District Total Revenue||$3,443 MM||$132 MM|
|District Spending||$3,669 MM||$140 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$9,718||$11,888|
|District Spending / Student||$10,356||$12,571|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- MiamiHammocks Middle SchoolGrades: 6-8 | 1023 students
9889 Hammocks Blvd
Miami, FL 33196
- Miami Oliver Hoover Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 770 students
9050 Hammocks Blvd
Miami, FL 33196
- MiamiClaude Pepper Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 688 students
14550 Sw 96th St
Miami, FL 33186
- MiamiChristina M. Eve Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 733 students
16251 Sw 99th St
Miami, FL 33196
- MiamiPinecrest Palm AcademyGrades: KG-8 | 18 students
15130 Sw 80th St
Miami, FL 33193
As a parent of a daughter who graduated 2006 and another in the 11th grade, I have nothing but praise for Varela. Ms. Connie Navarro the Principal is very approachable as are the VP's. My girls have participated in cheerleading [ coach Kubit ] and the Enchanters dance club [ Ms. Osorio ] and they have wonderful memories to tell their kids of Varela Senior High. Even though I work a fulltime job I have always found the time and effort to participate as an involved parent. It's up to you and your child to make it work. I highly reccomend Felix Varela High School.
- Posted by Parent - nella
Admin offices are in need of assistance they are terrible
- Posted by Administrator - sfcto
The academic programs are terrible. The grading scales is curved in such away that one F can bring you down from an A to a C. The teachers are all terrible with the execption of Mr. Lorenzo.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - sanch
The level of dedication by the teachers has improved significantly in this school. In the past four years I've been attending, I noticed the ease of access to clubs, sports, and areas to unleash my creativitity. The communications academy is top knotch; the learning these students do, not only helps them in their career, but also in life. I've blossomed in my writing and knowledge about the global community we live in(and I got into an Ivy League School), and I thank Varela for this. I definately recommend this school!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - cposc
The communication between teachers, counselors, assistant principles and parents is poor. The quality of teachers and academic programs has declined in the last couple years. My child has felt since she began at Felix Varela that the teachers just do not care. She has had very few good teachers who motivate the students during her 3 1/2 years there. The drop off of students in the morning is dangerous. Very bad traffic flow causing students to be late for class. Students get out of cars in the middle of the street not at crosswalks.
- Posted by Parent - cabre