Felix Varela Senior High School
Top Placements (Florida)
Felix Varela Senior High School is Listed among the top public schools in Florida for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 1%)
- Felix Varela Senior High School's student population of 2882 students has declined by 8% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 117 teachers has declined by 12% over five school years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Total Students||2,882 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||117 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Felix Varela Senior High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 3601 schools in Florida (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 25:1 has increased from 24:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (FL)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1||16:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Felix Varela Senior High School is Dade School District, which is ranked within the top 50% of all 74 school districts in Florida (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Dade School District's student population of 357,931 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The district's graduation rate of 80% has increased from 71% over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $9,718 in this district is less than the state average of $12,987. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $10,356 is less than the state average of $13,734. The district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|School District Name||Dade School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||357,931||10,175|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Graduation Rate|
|District Total Revenue||$3,443 MM||$132 MM|
|District Spending||$3,669 MM||$140 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$9,718||$12,987|
|District Spending / Student||$10,356||$13,734|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Miami Hammocks Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 948 students
9889 Hammocks Blvd
Miami, FL 33196
(305)385-0896 0.2 6-8 948
- Miami Claude Pepper Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 602 students
14550 Sw 96th St
Miami, FL 33186
(305)386-5244 0.8 PK-5 602
- Miami Christina M. Eve Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 803 students
16251 Sw 99th St
Miami, FL 33196
(305)383-9392 1.0 PK-5 803
- Miami Dante B. Fascell Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 525 students
15625 Sw 80th St
Miami, FL 33193
(305)380-1901 1.1 PK-5 525
As a parent of a daughter who graduated 2006 and another in the 11th grade, I have nothing but praise for Varela. Ms. Connie Navarro the Principal is very approachable as are the VP's. My girls have participated in cheerleading [ coach Kubit ] and the Enchanters dance club [ Ms. Osorio ] and they have wonderful memories to tell their kids of Varela Senior High. Even though I work a fulltime job I have always found the time and effort to participate as an involved parent. It's up to you and your child to make it work. I highly reccomend Felix Varela High School.
- Posted by Parent - nella
Admin offices are in need of assistance they are terrible
- Posted by Administrator - sfcto
The academic programs are terrible. The grading scales is curved in such away that one F can bring you down from an A to a C. The teachers are all terrible with the execption of Mr. Lorenzo.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - sanch
The level of dedication by the teachers has improved significantly in this school. In the past four years I've been attending, I noticed the ease of access to clubs, sports, and areas to unleash my creativitity. The communications academy is top knotch; the learning these students do, not only helps them in their career, but also in life. I've blossomed in my writing and knowledge about the global community we live in(and I got into an Ivy League School), and I thank Varela for this. I definately recommend this school!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - cposc
The communication between teachers, counselors, assistant principles and parents is poor. The quality of teachers and academic programs has declined in the last couple years. My child has felt since she began at Felix Varela that the teachers just do not care. She has had very few good teachers who motivate the students during her 3 1/2 years there. The drop off of students in the morning is dangerous. Very bad traffic flow causing students to be late for class. Students get out of cars in the middle of the street not at crosswalks.
- Posted by Parent - cabre