Foshay Learning Center
Foshay Learning Center places among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Graduation Rate Highest graduation rate (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 5%)
- Foshay Learning Center's student population of 1957 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 81 teachers has grown by 10% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1,957 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||81 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Foshay Learning Center is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 9595 schools in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 24:1 has decreased from 28:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||24:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Foshay Learning Center is Los Angeles Unified School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 983 school districts in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's student population of 633,165 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The district's graduation rate of 77% has increased from 61% over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $12,871 is higher than the state average of $11,049. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $14,853 is higher than the state average of $11,340. The district spending/student has grown by 13% over four school years.
|School District Name||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||633,165||1,585|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Graduation Rate|
|District Total Revenue||$8,437 MM||$18 MM|
|District Spending||$9,736 MM||$18 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$12,871||$11,049|
|District Spending / Student||$14,853||$11,340|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- The nearest high school to Foshay Learning Center is Alliance Patti And Peter Neuwirth Leadership Academy (0.6 miles away)
- The nearest middle school is Community Preparatory Academy (0.5 miles away)
- The nearest elementary school is Birdielee V. Bright Elementary School (0.4 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Birdielee V. Bright Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 728 students
1771 W. 36th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90018
(323)733-1178 0.4 K-5 728
- Los Angeles Community Preparatory Academy Grades: K-8 | 256 students
7511 Raymond Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90044
(323)751-1460 0.5 K-8 256
- Los Angeles Martin Lur King Junior Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 473 students
3989 S. Hobart Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90062
(323)294-0031 0.5 K-5 473
- Los Angeles Public Policy Charter Grades: 5-8 | 92 students
1701 Browning Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(323)205-7920 0.5 5-8 92
- Los Angeles Alliance Patti And Peter Neuwirth Leadership Academy Grades: 9-12 | 630 students
4610 S. Main St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213)342-2874 0.6 9-12 630
We analyze on a new study that shows restricting sugary snacks in vending machines in schools resulted in less weight-gain over a three-year period.
A number of school districts across the country are considering the closure of some of their public schools. We’ll look at reasons for the closures and what parents are doing to protest.
We report on the back to school campaign launched by CPS despite huge issues facing the district, including reports of school officials lying to get their children free lunches, conflicts between administrators and teachers’ union, and a lower bond rating.