Frederick Douglass High School
- School Type: Magnet School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 1,115 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 17:1
- Minority Enrollment: 98%
- Graduation Rate: 93% (Top 50% in MD)
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50%
- Math Proficiency: 22% (Btm 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 45% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), MD Dept. of Education
(offers virtual instruction)
Anime Club, Belle Couture Modeling Club, Debate Team, Drama Club, French Club, IB Ambassadors Club, Japan Exchange Program, Leo Club, Mock Trial, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, Photography Club, Student Government Association
- Frederick Douglass High School is an International Baccalaureate World School, offering a Middle Years Programme and a Diploma Programme. Students who receive an IB Diploma can be granted a significant amount of college credit depending on the university they attend along with being well prepared for success in college and in careers in the global market. FDHS is the most successful IB Diploma Programme in the Prince George's County Public Schools system, with 44% of DP students receiving IB Diplomas in 2016. FDHS also boasts a graduation rate of 92.6%. There are also great extra curricular activities and sports programs at FDHS. Students can participate on the Debate or Mock Trial teams, international travel through the Japan exchange program and World Language trips or focus on community service in the Leo or IB Ambassadors clubs. The football team won the Maryland State Championship in 2014, as well as the basketball, soccer and volleyball teams earning county division titles.
Frequently Asked Questions
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
22% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 38% MD state average), while 45% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 46% MD state average).
What is the graduation rate of Frederick Douglass High School?
The graduation rate of Frederick Douglass High School is 93%, which is higher than the Maryland state average of 86%.
How many students attend Frederick Douglass High School?
1,115 students attend Frederick Douglass High School.
What is the ethnic breakdown of the student body?
89% of Frederick Douglass High School students are Black, 6% of students are Hispanic, 3% of students are Two or more races, and 2% of students are White.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Frederick Douglass High School?
Frederick Douglass High School has a student ration of 17:1, which is higher than the Maryland state average of 14:1.
What grades does Frederick Douglass High School offer ?
Frederick Douglass High School offers enrollment in grades 9-12 (offers virtual instruction).
Review Frederick Douglass High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities