Maryland Public Schools
- Maryland is the #25 largest school system in the United States, serving 880,194 students across 1,439 public schools.
- Maryland public schools have a diversity score of 0.40, which is higher than the national average of 0.32.
- Minority enrollment is 61% (majority Black) and the student:teacher ratio is 15:1.
Student by Ethnicity
(MD) School Average
Two or more races
Maryland Public Schools by County
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 23 Schools8,951 Students11% Minority
- 120 Schools79,227 Students43% Minority
- 168 Schools106,614 Students60% Minority
- 191 Schools90,460 Students89% Minority
- 25 Schools16,017 Students28% Minority
- 10 Schools5,602 Students35% Minority
- 47 Schools26,268 Students17% Minority
- 28 Schools15,859 Students22% Minority
- 38 Schools26,307 Students72% Minority
- 13 Schools4,739 Students55% Minority
- 70 Schools42,099 Students36% Minority
- 11 Schools3,717 Students4% Minority
- 54 Schools37,448 Students35% Minority
- 74 Schools52,829 Students60% Minority
- 7 Schools2,029 Students38% Minority
- 208 Schools156,832 Students70% Minority
- 209 Schools128,470 Students96% Minority
- 14 Schools7,717 Students20% Minority
- 28 Schools17,941 Students34% Minority
- 9 Schools2,908 Students59% Minority
- 8 Schools4,625 Students38% Minority
- 45 Schools22,085 Students30% Minority
- 25 Schools14,790 Students55% Minority
- 14 Schools6,660 Students34% Minority
May 03, 2018
Tracking was once the standard of public education in the United States but today there is a great deal of controversy regarding its relevance. Consider the pros and cons of tracking to decide whether it might be a good option for your child.
May 03, 2018
We explore the various models of governance of public schools in the U.S. today, breaking down the responsibilities of the federal, state and local governments.
April 05, 2018
Every year, standardized tests reveal that public school performance is woefully low. Yet you pay taxes to fund public education, so where does that money go? Keep reading to find out how much it really costs to educate your child.