Helmsburg Elementary School serves 190 students in grades Prekindergarten-4.
Helmsburg Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Indiana for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 50-54% (which is higher than the Indiana state average of 36%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 45-49% (which is higher than the Indiana state average of 43%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 15:1 is lower than the Indiana state level of 16:1.
Minority enrollment is 7% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Indiana state average of 34% (majority Black).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: Prekindergarten-4
- Enrollment: 190 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 15:1
- Minority Enrollment: 7%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in IN
- Math Proficiency: 50-54% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 45-49% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IN Dept. of Education
Helmsburg Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Indiana for:
Helmsburg Elementary School's student population of 190 students has declined by 14% over five school years.
The teacher population of 13 teachers has declined by 18% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Helmsburg Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,755 schools in Indiana (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Helmsburg Elementary School is 0.13, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.54. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (IN)
Overall Testing Rank
#438 out of 1755 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IN Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Helmsburg Elementary School's ranking?
Helmsburg Elementary School is ranked #438 out of 1,755 schools, which ranks it among the top 30% of public schools in Indiana.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
50-54% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 36% IN state average), while 45-49% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 43% IN state average).
How many students attend Helmsburg Elementary School?
190 students attend Helmsburg Elementary School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
93% of Helmsburg Elementary School students are White, 4% of students are Hispanic, 2% of students are Two or more races, and 1% of students are Black.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Helmsburg Elementary School?
Helmsburg Elementary School has a student ration of 15:1, which is lower than the Indiana state average of 16:1.
What grades does Helmsburg Elementary School offer ?
Helmsburg Elementary School offers enrollment in grades Prekindergarten-4
What school district is Helmsburg Elementary School part of?
Helmsburg Elementary School is part of Brown County School Corporation School District.
I truly feel that this school has some really good Teachers for the most part but there are alot of sheep in wolves clothing at this school with a push-over for a principle who wants to be everyones friend rather then grow a set and deal with problems she there are teachers and staff that think that there put on the earth to be worshiped and who think that students should all be the same learning level and pupils with special needs shouldnt be in pubic schools but on mars.
Review Helmsburg Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
A Story of Overcoming Common Reading Difficulties
Follow the story of Sarah, a fictional character who overcame common reading difficulties with the help of the three cueing system. This blog post explores the advantages and disadvantages of the three cueing system and provides strategies for implementing it effectively.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
Standardized tests have a long history in American K-12 education. We examine what standardized tests evaluate and more.